Friday, May 5, 2023

What's in your garden today? Part I

 

I'm on the mend and back in the garden today. It's a beautiful morning, 
bright sunshine and cool but warming up. I need to really work on the back
 bed along the fence where recent heavy rains wreaked havoc. 
Lots of weeds and mini oak trees sprouting, jasmine vines beautiful
 and fragrant from their flowers, but really out of control regarding size. 
The climbing roses need reigning in a bit, so tall this spring and
 heavy with bunches of large blooms flopping everywhere.



Many busy bees on the roses - grand to see this early in the year, and
 I can stand there watching without fear of getting covered in mosquito
 bites for perhaps another week or so, they will arrive soon no doubt!



Grey Squirrel with a Hickory nut unearthed from last Autumn.
Better than devouring the birdseed in the feeders!


Northern Mockingbird : Mimus polyglotto

A favorite of mine, especially young males who sing at night.
Don't you love to listen to birds singing in the darkness of evening, or 
early morning before the sun rises?
Male and female build the nest and feed their young, 2 broods per year, 
sometimes more. Dining favorites are insects and fruit so they stay away
from the seed feeders, but love our fig tree!


Pretty, pale pink New dawn roses are great this year - look at the buds, 
so many blooming. I will cut a few to bring inside for the weekend. They don't
last long but are lovely until their petals soft petals fall quietly.

I was planning to show you more but that will have to be another day.
It's so perfect outside so I've been out taking photos, now I need to go out
 and work!  I must scramble into my gardening gear, put my sunscreen
 on, grab my brimmed hat and gloves and head into the
 garden to work.
Oh, I'm also baking a cake to nibble on Coronation Day tomorrow!

Will you be there?
Will you watch on TV?
If here in the US will you set your alarm and get 
up at 5 AM tomorrow to watch it live - or record
and watch later? I'll be up.
Or, maybe like some, you're not interested.

The pomp and glory of another British coronation, a ceremony
of deep tradition, a time when pageantry is at its best, is 
exciting for me. I was a child when Queen Elizabeth II had
 her coronation. I recall it well in my Devon neighborhood, Mainly the
 noisy, colorful 'street party' with tables laden with food, decorated in
 bunting, music from some source, and on a beautiful sunny day.
Later we watched some of the ceremony on our next door neighbor's
 small b/w television as my parents had yet to purchase one.
Fortunately tomorrow I'll be up before dawn and glued to the color TV

I'm hanging out my Union Jack - hoping it will blow in a nice 
sunny breeze. I know I'll be feeling homesick.

8 comments:

  1. The pale pink roses are wonderful! Birdsong, no matter what time of day (or night), can move me to tears, it is so beautiful.
    O.K. and I are finally on holiday, we have arrived at our hotel this afternoon and stay for a week. I doubt I will be watching much (if any) TV, although I must admit it is something to consider in its historical context.
    As I was born in 1968, I have always known only one Queen of the U.K. Depending on how long Charles is going to be around, his could well be the only coronation I have the chance to watch live on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing the King a good long reign, however he is no youngster. He waited along time and at least has wonderful support apparently from Queen Camilla. I think you are definitely young enough to see another coronation - and what a beautiful one that will be! Sadly I doubt I'll see it.........unless they have TV wherever I go, haha!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the coronation! I am not terribly interested, but will probably look at some highlights. I remember getting up at a very early hour to watch Charles and Diana marry. Love your photography. Wish that I had a little mockingbird around to sing all his mimicked songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee - the mockingbird does sing so beautifully - it's in the garden today singing its heart out, along with chirpy robins, cardinals, and my favorite little wren with the huge voice!!! Also, the chipmunk is running around the front porch - never a dull moment here.

      Delete
  3. I'll watch the Coronation later as getting up at 2 am is a bit of a stretch. I'm enjoying all the history and pomp surrounding the event. How marvelous that you remember Queen Elizabeth's coronation, as well. Enjoy watching, even if you do feel a wee bit homesick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could have been back there to enjoy the celebration in my old neighborhood, as I did as a child in 1953!

      Delete
  4. Just finished watching the whole thing, very wonderful pageantry, something we do so well here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome in so many ways - I was so proud to be British!

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.