Thursday, June 10, 2010

Provence?



No, I'm not in France.................I'm just taking a quick break from my Africa posts to show you why I'm enjoying the garden so much.


Coming up the driveway following my 27 hour trip home from Africa, I was greeted by these!  Tall golden sunflowers.  Were my eyes blurred from travelling, or was it an optical illusion due to my tiredness?  It took a few minutes for me to realize that the birdseed scattered beneath the feeder had germinated and I had a sunflower patch.  The feeder has been there for several years.  Because we had large trees in this area until their removal in January due to the roots cracking and lifting the driveway, I'm guessing there wasn't sufficient sunlight to grow these sun-loving beauties.


The bees are loving the flowers and I'm sure the birds and squirrels will be fighting over the seed heads when they ripen come late Summer.  Even the green buds are beautiful.  May not be back to gasp in delight at the sunflower fields of Provence for a while........but at least I have a touch of Vincent van Gogh right here in my garden this year!

13 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. I also love the hydrangeas in the back ground. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful Mary! And a surprise to boot! I planted some tall and short sunflower seeds as well as zinnea seeds in a cutting garden that is next to my potager. They are growing but no flowers yet. I can't believe yours are blooming!!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful garden Mary!
    Your African photos are simply magnificent - I have been enjoying reading through all your posts - Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! Found your new blog and what a treat to be able to join you in your garden. The sunflowers are beautiful and no wonder the bees are drinking happily at them.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, what a sweet homecoming, Mary. The birds blessed you with beauty.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely surprise! Sunflowers are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photos...what kind of camera do you have?? I want one!!!

    Blessings.....
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea!!! Sunflowers! How very lovely ♥ Enjoy them!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yellow sunflowers and blue hydrangeas - sigh! Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! Gasp is right. What a wonderful surprise indeed Mary. I know you were happy to see these gorgeous sunflowers. Your garden looks fab. I wonder if I could row these.

    Happy garden to you Mary. BIG smile. We, at this time, are enjoying tons of wild black raspberries. The blackberries aren't ripe until July. They grow all along the side of our yard. We are loving them for breakfast each morning.

    Nice break from your Africa posts.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Dear, those sunflowers are looking fabulous! Missing you this week. Hope everything is well. Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a delightful treat to come home to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sunflowers and hydrangeas, beautiful! Always a good thing to keep honeybees (and other bees too!, but you know I'm partial to honeybees)happy!
    take Care!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.