Sunday, January 25, 2015

Delicious AND healthy. . . . . .


While still hanging about in the January kitchen, thought I'd just share some 
liquid refreshment. More substantial than just a mug of strong black coffee, 
or a delicate china cup and saucer filled with Empress Grey (my favorite tea),
my new drink, replacing a midday meal, or sometimes for breakfast, is 
something I concocted for want of a glut of fresh fruit on hand and a blender. 
I'm keeping Kefir and Naked juices in my refrigerator from hereon out!


This is my quick version of a smoothie - those often over-priced, fancy blended 
drinks purporting to be the elixir to quaff in the quest to perfect health. Well 
perhaps some are, but we don't really need to be snacking on them often when 
away from home, far too many calories to be consuming between meals.
My quick and easy 'smoothie' has become a meal replacement, enjoyable and 
extremely healthy. 
Read the history of amazing Kefir. It has so many health benefits. The 
Helios Greek Nonfat brand, with extra protein and honey and several different 
flavors to choose from, is my favorite. Here I'm using pear & honey.


To the Kefir I add - about half and half - Naked brand juice, fruit or 
veggie, here I'm using their delicious sugar-free Blue Machine.
A quick stir together and you have a great tasting, healthy combo.
Both items are easy to find in grocery stores.


Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about fermented foods being good for us. Somehow the word "fermented" doesn't bring thoughts of healthy to my mind. It kind of sounds like the opposite of "fresh". :). However, after reading about Kefir I am thinking this might be the answer to adding some fermentation to my diet.
    Your smoothie looks delicious and super simple. I love smoothies but often don't feel like dragging out the blender. You have come up with the perfect solution to that.
    I was recently shopping at our local health food store and decided to order one of their smoothies for lunch. Although it was very good, the $6.99 price tag was a bit shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could find those here. They look healthy and delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back when I worked at Whole Foods, I used to buy a vanilla Kefir! I really liked that the flavor was similar to that of yogurt, but that it was drinkable. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, Mary. Kefir is rich in probiotics even (more than yogurt) which help with digestion and provide great health benefits. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not tried Kefir but I do know that fermented foods are good for us. I am going to try it!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious! I will have to try it. I have drank Kefir, but never made it into a shake. And omg - I wish I didn't see your flat pizza post - I am starving right now, and that post is going to have me running to the kitchen for a snack now! :-) Hope all is well and I must say, you look better than ever!! So glad you share your adventures - always educational and inspirational at the same time.

    Big hugs
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mary, You posted this recipe just in time. I needed something different. My morning smoothies were getting too boring. Now the challenge is to find the ingredients. I'll have to take a trip up north, but it will be worth it. Thank you for sharing. ox, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying this soon. I need some alternative when I don't really want a regular meal.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I drink kefir so often even if I'm the only one in the house....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi....I have the same rooster as you! I saw yours on this blog a while ago and pinned it, came today and scrolled down a bit only to see him again :) I'm in New Jersey USA....wondering where yours came from? I got mine at an antique shop 40min from home...or should I say my kids got him for me as a mother's day gift. Oh, and ours has a name, Brewster...Brewster The Rooster to be exact, lol.

    Mine is in our dining room now but he moves around a bit. Yours looks lovely in you kitchen :D

    Anyway, just had to comment, you know, since we may be related by ceramic poultry ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.