Monday, January 12, 2015

Recalling the past ------ special travel stories remembered.


On this day just two years ago I embarked the 
M/S Expedition and sailed away from Ushuaia, Argentina,
southernmost city in the world, on my exciting journey and trip
of a lifetime, to Antarctica.
Never did I expect to travel to all seven continents.
All have provided special memories . . . . . . this one 
was the most amazing. 

If you were following me back then you might recall the awesome
beauty I was able to photograph in the Southern Ocean. With landings 
including the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island, and on the Antarctic 
Peninsula, we followed the great British explorer Sir. Ernest Shackleton's 
incredible January 1915 journey on his doomed ship Endurance and, as I write, 
the 100th anniversary is probably being celebrated at the bottom of the world.

If you missed those posts, are interested in this area, would like to see more 
of the incredible wildlife, or are planning to visit Antarctica some day - you won't 
be sorry I assure you - take a look.
If you need tips/info for an expedition trip I'll be happy to assist if I can. 
You can visit those old posts by starting here




14 comments:

  1. Just has a squint through your old posts, Mary. What can I say - except "astonishing"? Breathtaking pictures - wow; a trip of a lifetime!! You are very lucky to have seen that part of our world - and the whales, in particular, must have been just amazing. Brilliant photography, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is all I can say. We saw a museum exhibit about Shackleton in 2001 while my husband was beginning a trek through cancer at MD Anderson in Houston. The Endurance became our motto to get through it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ….and I pray he did well and all is fine with his health now Donna.

      Shackleton's journey following the Endurance being crushed in the Antarctic ice is amazing - and the fact that ALL his men survived after living underneath the rowboats for several months on Elephant Island - which I visited and photographed from a Zodiac, but you can no longer land there due to erosion - has to be the most incredible survival/rescue story ever!

      Thanks for stopping by - aways enjoy hearing from you.
      Mary

      Delete
  3. I remember when you took this trip Mary and it certainly was an amazing adventure for you. You took such beautiful photos of the scenery and wildlife, especially the penguins. It's hard to believe it's been two years already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to be able to travel as you have, Mary. Your photos are wonderful. I love penguins; they're so much fun to watch. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Lady, awesome pictures. Penguins are so colorful and the scenery so beautiful.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mary, Yes, we have lost touch and I am sad about that. I actually stopped blogging for about 6 months this year. I'm back and very happy to hear from you. I remember your trip of a lifetime and the wonderful experiences you enjoyed. Time does fly these days.

    Wishing you both a happy and healthy New Year. Lets stay in touch.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos, Mary. A book might be in your future. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous photos - what an experience. The penguins are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An incredibly beautiful journey! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that trip and gorgeous photos you took. They are awe-inspiring. I've told friends about your trip - truly an experience of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember this amazing trip, and enjoyed seeing the photos very much! It was incredible to see travel; shots from someone visiting the Antarctic! Not many people have done so, and I loved being able to share in your adventure!

    Glad you follow Mom and know about her book. Also, even if you don't join the book club, do come by from time to time to comment on the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.