Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Summer gardening, birds, lizards and cooking.


This post is a mixed bag if ever there was one.

Well, the July festivities are over and life is settling back into the new normal.
With some sunny spells, high temperatures and humidity, plus rainy days 
imminent, I think summer is really here.  But there's nowhere to go if, like us, 
one is trying to do the right thing and stay at home, except for going out
 to purchase necessities.
The porch is nice late afternoon. . . . . . . .with a chilled glass in hand and the
portable fan cooling. . . . . . . .


. . . . . . and we now have a resident little green gecko.


The hydrangeas are fading fast, some even crisping up, so I've started
 cutting a few, before they turn brown, for drying indoors. 


Morning glories are really this bluest blue!


This little sweetie is a baby Mockingbird. I felt terrible when I realized 
I was accidentally giving him a shower with the garden hose one morning!
He just stood on the azalea bush under the fig tree totally silent so perhaps 
actually enjoyed it - it was a hot day - I heard his parents in the tree
sounding quite annoyed.
He remained there for at least half an hour whilst drying off, never made a
 sound or changed his expression!



The new pink mophead hydrangea bought this year is still in its pot.
Blooms are fading to a lovely cream shade even though I've kept it 
under the fig tree in shade since the 90F days arrived.
Come fall it will be planted out, most likely in the back garden.


My lacecap hydrangea is blooming and doing really well this year.
It has grown large and is now enjoying not only my garden but my neighbor's
 (the other Bob!) side of the split rail fence. Fortunately he doesn't mind one bit!
The acer is huge, far too big and spreading now - I've been cutting it 
back because it was covering the hydrangea, it will need a good pruning
at the right time. 



All that gardening means a good appetite at the end of the day!
I've been making pesto a couple of times a week so have started new 
pots of basil as I'm going to be running out of fresh leaves to pick soon.

A simple but delicious summer meal is angel hair pasta swimming
  in fresh pesto, with lightly grilled cherry tomatoes and shrimps.
A grind of black pepper and some fresh basil leaves chopped
and scattered. . . . . . perfect.


Hope your week is going well.

10 comments:

  1. Love the gecko and the sweet little baby bird! Also, your summer pasta dish sounds and looks delicious, except for the shrimps (I am not keen on sea food, but that's just me). I love pesto and fresh basil leaves on my food, and slightly grilled cherry tomatoes! Sundried tomatoes are also great on pasta or in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a dear little bird, he looked like he enjoyed being wet. Your garden is beautiful. I have an acer but have always been afraid to cut it as heard they were delicate, I shan't be so wary now I know people do prune them back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That gecko picture is great. It took me a minute to figure out how you achieved it. Wonderful perspective!

    The hydrangea photo that looks like a broach is also delightful. Goodness, ALL your photos are wonderful.

    I was pleased with the fireworks on July 4; however fireworks on July 7 were not as welcome. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post! I love posts with lots of interesting things and photos! The little bird is so cute! Your garden is looking fabulous! IT is funny because this summer has been less humid than other years, the hot weather has been intermittent and I spend at least an hour every morning on the front porch after yoga with a hot chocolate and a book, in the afternoon I enjoy the sun and a book. Small pleasures to a challenging time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing your garden and gecko too. That pasta recipe sounds delicious. I think I may just have to make that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful collection of photos from your garden, Mary. The little gecko is much more attractive than the plethora of Italian Wall Lizards that were introduced here and have taken over in the past couple of years. Your pasta and pesto look delicious. Such a sweet little baby mockingbird. He looks quite content with the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos of your gardens always look so beautiful. It's still in the 90's here, too so not much outdoor time for us. Too funny about you accidentally watering the baby Mockingbird! It probably liked the cool water. We currently have a mama cardinal nesting in the bushes right outside our kitchen window. She should be laying her eggs any day now. I feel so sorry for her in this heat though. She has her beak open often during the day. I wish I could just reach out the window and put a dropper of water in her beak! I hope she knows where our bird bath in the back yard is. I refresh it several times a day for her.

    We've had pesto on Trader Joe's arugula ravioli twice in the past couple of weeks and I've thrown in roasted red peppers in the mix, too. Your dish looks beautiful, except that I don't eat shrimp (or any other shellfish). Brian would devour that whole bowl though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I am even more envious of your Heavenly Blue Morning Glory. That is the colour that I have planted but they are far, far, way behind yours. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will come to fruition at some stage.
    Love the photo of the little green gecko, and your delicious looking pasta dish - making pesto myself tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary,
    I wish that my tomatoes would hurry and ripen. Your pasta salad looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.