Saturday, September 5, 2020

Saturday garden notes - shopping. . . . .



This week has been quiet since the torrential rains of Monday. I've spent time emptying items filled with water - pots, watering cans, garden ornaments - cleaned up the front porch, deadheaded hydrangeas, pulled out dried up petunias who had seen better days.


Yesterday I made a last batch of pesto for the freezer as the basil has been attacked by some invisible nibbling invader. Aphids most likely, but this late in the season I'm not going to spray them as I'm done with pesto until next summer!  



The fig tree still full and green, even some large ripe figs visible near the top where it's impossible to reach, along with plenty of small green ones lower down.  The insects appear to have abandoned the juicy fruits. Soon the waving leaves will start to turn gold and rust and the tree will look beautiful in autumn dress before they fall to the ground . . . . then we will know winter is on the way.

The weather feels different as we are now settling into September. The ridiculous triple digit heat of this week is ending, today just reaching low 80's. . . . . with a promise of much lower night temps. at long last. This being an important American holiday weekend - which is often stormy - is going to be lovely for a change, so firing up the grill and chilling a few bottles of rosé and beer is on the 'to do' list even though we'll be celebrating here at home, alone!


This seems to be a rogue magnolia bloom right at the peak of the tree - reaching for the late summer sun. . . . . a lovely garden surprise.

The thousands of cicadas around the garden are still loud and droning in the humid air. Funny how at first they are so annoying and then after a few weeks one really doesn't even hear them, their sound just blends in with life. . . . . . 

 

Yes, a little shopping on the list for today. How I'd love to visit a row of smaller shops along a little street, supporting independent businesses all whom are struggling these days . . . . . instead it's going to be big box store's garden center in search of a few plants, a hardware store, and of course the grocery store!

To those of you celebrating Labor Day weekend I wish you a good
holiday though probably it will be different this time around. 
Stay safe.


12 comments:

  1. Our weather has cooled off here as well. Very enjoyable. We are going to heat up our pizza oven this evening and enjoying a pizza al fresco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Labor Day to you and Bob! It sounds like you had a busy day in the garden and a beautiful evening planned as well. We are having cooler temps also, for several days, actually. No a/c and I love the breeze blowing the curtains in my bedroom at night. I'm going to hate coming to the lake as we get close to October. The holidays and cold weather bring me home. Holidays are around the corner and so much to do with that home and garden. So I savor each day here. Al gets up sporadically. He's not always feeling well but that's something I'll share later. Nothing that could startle you! I'm at peace here and he enjoys his time alone to read, watch the History channel ❤️ and nap leisurely!

    I need some fig recipes! They are at our stores and at my farm market/nursery here. I want to do them justice!

    Sending love and good wishes. I hope we get what we need for this pandemic so we can begin to live somewhat normally again.

    Jane x😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering which holiday, but of course, Labor Day. I hope you are enjoying it Mary. The garden looks very green, despite the heat. Our garden is enjoying Spring, which is always fun for a few weeks before the heat returns. Know what you mean about visiting little shops - although we legally can do so, I tend to stay away from them now, as social distancing is usually impossible. Not worth the risk. How times have changed, and we really do have to find new forms of joy. PS I am a grannie again, twin boys arrived last week - so happy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a lovely Labor Day weekend and enjoy that beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done some work in our yard too. I hesitate to call is a garden as we don't have a large area of soil. Most of our plants are in pots. It's strange but, this year, I have developed an interest in 'gardening'. Maybe it has something to do with growing older. Seeing things sprout and grow gives me joy these days. Looking to buy some bulbs to plant and praying for rain. It's been dry for far too long but the temperature is a bit more bearable now. Enjoy your holiday. We have one coming up this week too: Victory Day. It commemorates the victory of the Maltese and the Knights of St John over the Turks in the Great Siege of 1565.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your temps finally dropped. It is 115 degrees in California where my son is living. I can't even imagine! We woke up very early to thunder and rain, which was a most welcome sound, as we haven't had rain in about a month. It just now cleared out and the sun is out. Looks like we're in for a cool week - only 60's and 70's. And more rain. Such is September here in IL...we can have cool temps like this, or else 80's and 90's aren't unheard of. And you just never know from day to day if it's going to be sunny or rainy.

    Enjoy your BBQ...we're going to my aunt's house tomorrow for one. It'll be just me and Brian and my mom going. We will have quite the feast with everyone chipping in with the food and yes, I'm bringing a bottle of rose, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cooler temperatures are fabulous. Could we dare to hope it won't go into the 90s again until next year? Your basil looks good compared to mine. I just pulled all 3 plants. Tired of looking at them. Like you, I have some pesto tucked away in the freezer. It will be a nice little treat in the winter months.. a time when I think we will all be looking for little treats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My figs are coming every day now - it's like going into the jungle to pick them! I bought a dehydrator recently and now feel much more peaceful and receptive of my blessings :-)

    That late magnolia bloom is a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have barely thought about it being Labor Day tomorrow. I will go for an early morning walk and then try to survive the heat of the day. We are having 90+ weather for the next week. Ugh! I need to get one more box of peaches, they were so good this year. My pesto is also made. Take care and enjoy the day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Labor Day, Mary and Bob! I'm glad it's a bit cooler for you now. The air, especially in the evenings and mornings, is quite chilly here already - I'm glad for a sweater or jacket. Still enjoying sunny days, and long may they last. We enjoyed a barbecue this evening with our son and his family for his birthday. Tomorrow (Monday) I'm hoping to putter around the garden, beginning the clean up. Do take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You’ve been busy Mary .... at least these jobs are keeping us busy during this pandemic. There is definitely a very subtle change in the weather here in the U.K. .... not quite Autumnal yet but a slight chill in the mornings. I do think that the Winter is going to be a bit harder to deal with Covid but, our homes/gardens are going to look wonderful as we all seem to be doing so much more to them, having been stuck inside more 😂🤣😂
    Look after yourselves ..... XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking of you, Mary, when O.K. and I tried a (to us) new brand of rosé wine this past Saturday. It was alright, but we went back to our trusted favourite brand for our Sunday barbeque again.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.