Thursday, October 26, 2023

Lifestyle Changes -




I'm back from the trip home to England. During two and a half weeks of mixed weather I wandered around wondering why I ever left. I thought about all the visits I had made in the 61 years since I emigrated. Each was different because of the people who were waiting. The beauty of a place stays with one forever. When that beauty fades a bit feelings become mixed and muddled. One wants to hide under the covers and have a few tears. If only the parents were there still. Mum waiting at the window as the taxi pulled up and deposited me with luggage. . . . . . and an American accent getting stronger each time. Dad in his usual Harris Tweed jacket staring at my false eyelashes in the late 1960's and wondering "why". Brother growing taller and smarter, with hair longer than mine after heading to university. The house looked the same, even the shrubs in the garden hadn't changed other than get taller. The washing was still pegged out on the line despite Mum buying a little electric dryer "for rainy days" of which there are many! We rode the red double decker buses for years. We walked to the village pub up and down a couple of hills - good for shapely legs we were told. Bob apparently liked mine. We sat by the open fire on cold winter visits and took dips in the mild waters of Tor Bay in the summer. Traipsed though gorgeous National Trust gardens on open days, ending with Devonshire cream afternoon teas and cups of Earl Grey, sometimes in a country home, other times in an apple orchard.

Those were the days. These are the new days. I feel this last visit has given me a new perspective on my former life. Growing up in another country, one such as beautiful England, perhaps made me a different person when I came to live here. I did eventually learn to fit in. I have had a wonderful life with a great husband and family, however a huge part of my heart always remained behind and now and then I have felt perhaps I made the wrong decision all those years ago.

Today is my 80th birthday! This is really a very hard day for me because I don't feel anywhere near this age. Where have all the years gone? Am I living on borrowed time? What should I do with the years to come?  Life is filled with quite important questions now and I don't have the answers. Sometimes I feel I'm drowning in 'what ifs' and what will I do. I want to learn to live in the moment. Much relies on health and movement and so far I'm doing well in those categories. However, a lot is about using my days and time to do what I want to do while I can. I'm learning to say "no" and I don't want to be the organizer any longer. I need time for myself to wander, look more closely at nature, read more, photograph more and most of all write more.  

Thank you all who have followed this blog for so many years.  I don't have plans to close it any time soon. I do feel I haven't got enough time to post as often as I used to. Perhaps I'm just slower. I hope to write more about the past rather than the present, if that makes sense. I do have stories to share of travels and life both here and back in those days growing up across the pond. For now I'll say goodbye...........after all it's my big birthday and I haven't organized anything spectacular, other than trotting off to a favorite wine bar with a few people who might enjoy popping a cork and toasting those coming days with a chilled glass of champagne.  Wish you were here to join me!!!

17 comments:

  1. Happiest of birthdays to you, dear Mary. Milestone birthdays do have a way of making us take stock. Living in the moment does sound like the way to go at any age. It is easier said than done, I think.
    Your memories of England sound perfectly lovely to me. No matter how often or what you choose to blog about, I will be reading along. Have a wonderful evening tonight and Cheers to 80 wonderful years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Happy Birthday dear Mary. What a wonderful milestone, and well worth celebrating with champagne. I wish I could join you too! Would you believe, I still peg clothes, and only use the dryer on rainy days - of which there are very few lately! I am glad you are not closing your beautiful blog, but understand the need to slow down a little, and we will love what you do post, whenever you please. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I always enjoy reading about your travels; memories of your childhood in England are going to be just as interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful, healthy and peaceful birthday. I am making a big birthday lunch for my husband also... Come and join us in Melbourne.
    People make the best decisions they can at the time, even if years later you look back with some regret. If emigrating was your only regretful decision, you must have done well in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a happy birthday. My sentiments are somewhat similar. My children all three have emigrated and when I visit I realize that they have now made themselves at home there. My grands will only understand Sri Lanka from stories and pictures. Bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my virtual clinking glasses with you across the many, many miles and ocean that separates us geographically, dear Mary - Happy Birthday!!!
    My Mum will be 80 next year, and although she never emigrated and has been living most of her life in the town where she was born, I know she is thinking about the past, present and future a lot, especially since my Dad died.
    Learning to live in the moment is a great goal, and I am sure you have happy and good times ahead. As you say, health is crucial; I saw the opposite with my Dad and can only strongly recommend anyone to "keep going" - literally - as long as you can, as much and far and often as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoyed your birthday. I've always stayed very close to the area I grew up in, though I got the travel bug in my middle years. I'll enjoy reading about your time around Torbay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very happy birthday to you, Mary. I know the feeling of going home, and missing it so, and looking around at where I live presently with some sadness. I also know the feeling of, "How can I be this old, but still feel 25 inside?" I have never felt the age I am! I believe that when one is retired, we need to learn the art of "no" quickly and well, lest we become resentful of all the things we choose to do, or to help with, or to organize. The 90/10 rule applies there too: 10 percent of the people do 90 percent of the work and it can turn what was once a feel-good into an unpleasant task. Now I look at things to do and ask myself, "Is this something that I can do, and be present while doing it?" There are some who've tried to shame me into service, doing more, blahblahblah, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. So, we don't need a grand purpose, we need to be kind to ourselves, and love ourselves fiercely for that is how we change the world! And again, a very happy trip around the sun to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Mary,
    Happy belated 80th Birthday!
    Was on the road with driver yesterday to Emory for CT scan and check up with Dr. Leshnower.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary,
    Belated Happy Birthday! I'm raising a glass virtually and wish we could share in the celebrations in person. Birthdays, particularly milestone ones, often inspire reflection and retrospection. None of us knows what lies ahead in this old world. I'll be 67 on Monday and hope to be as vivacious and interesting as you are once I'm 80. I'll always enjoy reading your blog. Stories of the past will be lovely.
    love, Lorrie
    Tim sends happy birthday wishes to you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can understand why you're waxing nostalgic after returning from your homeland, plus it being your 80th birthday.

    My mom is 83 and she has voiced the same concerns about life that you did. I'm glad you're still going to continue with your photography and writing via this blog.

    I hope you had a wonderful celebration, with your favorite people, wine and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary! A very happy belated birthday. I hope that you enjoyed your day…and also that you enjoyed your trip to South Devon. It was really lovely to meet you and Bob! Hopefully we can do it again one day! With much love, Sal 😁

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like the perfect way to celebrate a momentous occasion. Yes, sometime we do wonder "if". I have been asking my sister her memories of our childhood. It is funny to hear them, as they are different from mine. We each look at things in different ways and remember differently. Treasure your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops! That was me, Marilyn M, not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mary,
    I will always think of you as the talented blogger who taught me how to make tea stained gift tags!! First thing: Happy 80th Birthday wishes, I recently hit 82 and as you so eloquently shared, I have had many of the same emotions. How much time, how best to spend it, do I begin new hobbies, travel more or simply savor what life is as I know it now. My son Carl and I are still in Bend, oldest son recently purchased a lovely home in Winston Salem. Carl just turned 62 and has decided to remain at Safeway for another year, maybe two. After eighteen years, most of Bend knows him and to know him is to love him. I worry a bit about beginning again in a new city, another job, most likely part time.
    Never, ever stop photographing. These photos tell so many amazing stories. Your stories. Your life. Your flair for decor, talent when it comes to writing ... we would miss all of it terribly. Be well, stay happy, live, live, live.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Mary, Happy Birthday, to reach 80 and still be so full of life.
    You have always been such an inspiration, your beautiful blog posts and sharing your travels and fantastic adventures with the most gorgeous photographs.
    Your lovely home and cooking, elegant decorations and attention to the changing seasons. Gardening, flowers and love of nature all contribute to the wonderful person you are. I remember meeting you at the airport and then at Hilltop as you travelled through the Lake District.
    I Know you will have touched so many other lives throughout your life and everyone will remember you for the wonderful lady you are.
    Mary , Just live each day with the same enthusiasm and don’t let a number get in the way, keep spreading your joy and love of life in your writing.
    There is a lady in our village just reached 103 years old! And a neighbour reached 98.
    So Mary sending lots of love for many more birthdays to celebrate.
    Eileenxxx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.