Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Lions in love---------------------




Masaai Mara, Kenya - September 16, 2016

Early morning on the Mara. Our guide braked as a pair of magnificent lions, 
who were obviously planning a romantic interlude, passed by the safari vehicle.
We followed them quietly for some time - they took us roaming
 with them across the sunny golden plain. 
We even stopped here for our bush breakfast - in a safe spot of course - realizing
 they were in no hurry and we could catch up with them later.
Bob, Tirian - our Masaai guide and friend, Me

When we caught up with them again, he seemed to be treating her well, 
 gently showing affection . . . . . . . . . 


. . . . . . . . he looked at her with adoration


. . . . . . . .and roared, but not at us, at another young male who passed by, possibly
one of his sons according to Tirian.



More snoozing and no action. . . . . . and this continued for quite a while.


So we said goodbye, gave them privacy, and wished them well - they did look happy!

7 comments:

  1. How Awesome that you got to see lions so close and in the wild.
    I want to thank you for your comment on my blog. I am glad that you find something of interest there. I sometimes feel like a voice in the wilderness but it's always nice to hear that people do stop by and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still dreaming of Africa. How could you not? Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos. The last one with them sleeping head to head and paw to paw is absolutely gorgeous and precious. I can't imagine witnessing all this in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos and I love that shot of you! Yes, I don't think I would ever want to get in the way of lions in a romantic interlude!

    My oldest son, same name, is going to Africa in the end of July. Botswana, to be precise, with Peace Corps. We're excited for him and he wants to work in third world development overseas so this will be great for him and I know he will be wonderful with them, particularly children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing encounter, Mary. I'm thrilled you captured these exquisite photos and shared them with. What a sweet valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered about the rating on this one... 🙂
    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.