Saturday, February 11, 2017

Winter white and a promise of Spring. . . . . . . . .


Hoping those of you who may still be digging out and trying to stay warm in
 your snow covered homes up north in the USA, Canada, and perhaps other
 far away places, will find some respite from the storms as you go about
 your weekend.


A small bird twitters on a leafless spray,
Across the snow-waste breaks a gleam of gold:
What token can I give my friend today
But February blossoms, pure and cold?
Frail gifts from Nature's half reluctant hand.....
I see the signs of Spring about the land.....
These chill snowdrops, fresh from wintry bowers,
Are forerunners of a world of flowers.
~ Sara Doudney, "Snowdrops (Consolation)," c. 1881 ~


Sending warm thoughts your way.
I don't have any snowdrops in bloom, but these daffodils are
 peeking out on a chilly but sunny morning here.


6 comments:

  1. Only some green bulbs peeking out; I can't wait for the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Mary. Hope you're keeping well and all is tickety-boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Mary. Much like spring here with warmer days. Hopefully rain next week. The garden needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My New York boy is getting slammed with winter snow, while Colorado boy has experienced a heat wave (though in the valley where he lives there is still snow that hasn't melted). Hard to believe that Denver got up to 80 degrees the other day. That is just crazy for February. Have a wonderful Sunday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had our snow last week, and I think that will be it, unless Mother Nature throws a real surprise party! I hope you're tucked safe and cozy in your cottage. Those daffodils are like a breath of spring. We will have to wait a bit longer to see them here. But the sun is shining today and the ground is warming up, so it may be sooner than we think. Happy Sunday, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your daffodils are much further along. I think you must have more sunshine. They are such a harbinger of Spring. I just love seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.