Saturday, July 1, 2017

Gazpacho by any other name. . . . . . . .



This is what I made yesterday. . . . . . . . .  . the really delicious 
Cucumber Gazpacho from Barbara Kafka's amazing cook book,
SOUP ~ A Way of Life, one of my favorites.

I've made it before during the summer months when cukes are coming in 
fast and furious from the garden (I used to grow my own). These are 
from my neighbor's garden. Whilst he's on vacation, and I'm cat-sitting for 
him, I'm permitted to pick his veggies, "thank you very much", and along
with the giant cukes calling out to be harvested, I also took a couple
of jalapeño peppers - the red ones are from the grocery store.
  His cherry tomatoes are just starting to ripen, the larger slicing ones will take longer,
 but this recipe does not require them - this is a green gazpacho and is really delicious.



Do you enjoy chilled soups in hot weather?
Vichyssoise is another soup I love - and of course the original
 style of Gazpacho made with tomatoes is hard to beat.
The blender and food processor will be staying busy here
 on these hot summer days!
 

7 comments:

  1. We love Vichysoisse, especially on a really hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make gazpacho with tomatoes all the time. with garlicky croutons on top, a perfect meal or with grilled fish.
    My husband used to make a cold cucumber soup .. I can't find the recipe :(
    I love grilling a large filet of fish and having the leftovers for a few days , sandwiches, salads, etc ..
    These days since I am the only one eating but I still like to cook, I eat a lot of leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks absolutely delicious! I only recently found your blog and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gazpacho, but I've never had a cucumber one! Looks delicious. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! You would think I would want chilled soups with our heat, but I much prefer a nice big bowl of steaming hot soup and some sort of bread. :) I might try making gazpacho sometime soon, though. Wonder if my husband will go for it. He always says I'm experimenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently made gazpacho for my women's group, the traditional tomato kind. It is so delicious. Now I see yours and another blog also posted sort of a recipe. Must make more soon!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.