Thursday, June 21, 2018

Cool, healthy bowls for hot, humid days -


 


Who wants to turn their oven on these hot evenings?  
Not me that's for certain.  
I would prefer an easy to make, and eat, salad in a chilled bowl 
along with a glass of beautiful pale pink rosé.

Above, just a Caesar salad with additions - farm fresh boiled eggs, potatoes, 
radishes, finely chopped scallions. Homemade croutons and an extra
 crunchy slice of grilled bread rubbed with olive oil and garlic. 
I toss my croutons and sliced bread together in the same skillet for ease.

Tip: If you shop at LIDI try the cheese rolls from the bakery.
Just one will serve two and give you enough croutons, plus two slices,
and they are delicious. They are also fabulous for panini 
sandwiches, light and crispy - cheese and tomato with 
some fresh torn basil is my favorite.

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables

Oven roast your vegetables, chopped in 1" cubes, for about 30 minutes on a
 cooler day - preferably early morning when heat from the oven is tolerable.
I love eggplant, red and orange bell peppers, zucchini and red onion.
Boil and drain your pasta at the same time then by evening when constructing
your bowl, everything will be cool, no heat required. 
If you would like to have the complete recipe go here to Sprouted Kitchen
where Sara has adapted Ina Garten's original Roasted Vegetable Orzo recipe - and
 of course I then tweaked my own version. You will love what Sara comes up with in
 her kitchen, and if you don't already follow her, you should!

Happy days in a cooler Summer kitchen. . . . . . yes, today is
the first day of Summer!


7 comments:

  1. These are my favorite kinds of meals for summer! I've been eating a huge salad for lunch every day. I would love your roasted veggie and orzo recipe. In fact, I'm heading to Trader Joe's right now so I'm going to pick up extra veggies to roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Melanie - I love how you are already out shopping for your veggies!
      I've decided to add the link to fabulous cook Sara of The Sprouted Kitchen where I found the recipe - and she adapted it from Ina Garten! Love how we can all share these great eating adventures thanks to Ina, Sara and many others out there!

      Happy cooking a cool kitchen!
      Mary -

      Delete
  2. I love these kinds of meals for summer. The Caesar Salad looks so crisp and cool and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salad sounds wonderful. I follow the Sprouted Kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound delicious! I love my salads and usually have a big bowl all to myself for dinner at least three nights a week, adding whatever I have at home, such as peppers, cheese, nuts, bits of apple, sundried tomatoes and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary,

    My mouth is watering just looking at your Caesar Salad. My kind of food for a summer meal.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.