Thursday, June 28, 2018

Summer's first pesto. . . . . . . . .


For a real taste of summer, out comes the food processor (I love my
 small version which is easier to lift) and fresh pesto is made often.
It's so easy, especially when you grow your own basil and 
have several pots sitting outside the kitchen door.

They seem to make pesto from just about anything these days!
Mine is traditional Italian pesto made with basil, garlic, walnuts or pine nuts,
grated Parmigiana Reggiano cheese, a good quality extra virgin olive oil,
black pepper, and perhaps a pinch of salt at the end after taste testing.






This was my first batch made last Sunday before leaving on the trip north. 
That evening we enjoyed a little on grilled bread along with penne Gorgonzola, 
the remainder is in the freezer for when we get home. By then I should have
 plenty more basil ready to cut so I'll be making more for summer meals.

Do you grow herbs?
How about making pesto? 
You can't wrong having some on hand for veggies, pasta,
 tomato sandwiches, or adding more oil and dipping grilled bread etc.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I grow herbs and make pesto too. I usually wait until then end of summer and harvest all the remaining basil. Then I freeze the pesto in ice trays, pop them out when frozen and store in a zip bag in the freezer to use during the winter in pastas and soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary,

    We love Pesto and make lots of it. It comes in handy during the winter months when something from the garden is so welcome. Here is a post I wrote some time ago.

    http://ginaceramics.blogspot.com/2012/09/pesto-pesto-do-your-very-besto.html


    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds delish! And/but no, don't grow anything edible. I've never had any luck. Even in pots, with edibles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is almost always a potted basil on my kitchen windowsill, but I have never made my own pesto - I leave that to my Mum, who is a wizard in the kitchen (and has a lot more time than I). The potted one is harvested almost daily for my salads; nothing like fresh herbs!
    You eat bread with pasta?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love pesto, but my "live-in gardener" not so much. I do believe it need to make some soon. Heading to the garden to see what I can find. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn - having a good trip so far, even the heavy rain today has not deterred us! Bob's chomping on a Maine lobster roll right now - cheese and artichoke flatbread for me!
      Mary x

      Delete
  6. Your food preparation posts are so inspiring, Mary. Makes me wish I could harvest some basil and make pesto right now. However, I planted mine from seed this year and it is still too small for that. I do look forward to making it later in the summer and freezing some for those winter days. I think I will try using the walnuts this year. Those pine nuts can be hard to find and pricy.
    Hope you are having a wonderful time on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I too started my basil from seeds and they have grown so quickly this year. I do like pine nuts a lot and love to use in many dishes such as pasta and salads, but yes, they are really high-priced now. I buy mine in the big bag at Costco and keep in the 'frig. Cheaper than those tiny packets in the reg. grocery stores.
      Thanks for the kind comment and your wishes for our trip - we are having good time.
      Mary -

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.