Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Happiness. . . . .


The lovely bluebirds have returned to the garden this morning bringing a
spark of proverbial happiness.
 Just one pair so far, perhaps the same ones who nested in the birdhouse
 last year, or perhaps their offspring.  

The rain fell in torrents most of yesterday and all through the night, flooding 
the garden yet again. A shower this morning with constant rain expected
soon and continuing through the remainder of today, and through this week,
means we are saturated and flash flood warnings are out.

Last evening we drove through the heavy rain to eat at a nice restaurant 
which annually supports our beloved veterans. They give a free meal to 
 veterans, of which Bob is one, and he always enjoys a steak, something
 I rarely prepare in my usually non-meat kitchen!
We don't go just for a free meal, we go for the atmosphere of camaraderie
between the diners, many introducing themselves to each other and stating 
where and when they served their country, often in wars on far off shores.



I need a little happiness this week. 
A lovely member of my family in the UK passed away unexpectedly and the 
sadness for his family is overwhelming I'm certain. 
At times such as this I feel so far away from where I want to be.

The continuing California wildfires are just devastating and my
 heart goes out to all who live in those areas. 


The fig tree is now bare, the maple behind it still has clinging leaves now 
changing color. Some trees are still quite green, others are dropping leaves
 and raking will begin soon. In late winter we will have to prune the fig which has
grown by leaps and bounds and is much too big! 


We will be away for an extended Thanksgiving Day trip this year.
That, along with computer problems, may mean I will not be posting 
regularly. Quite honestly I'm finding blogging exhausting lately and, 
once again, apologize for being lax in commenting.
Hopefully with new computers (although I dread having to learn new
technical stuff which I'm certain will come with them), and after a
change of scenery and time with our quite large family in Arizona,
I will be inspired and can keep going.
I care about you all so much and don't want to lose touch - you are 
my best friends and bring me such a lot of day to day happiness!

The bluebird carries the sky on his back - Henry David Thoreau

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful blue bird shots. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one. Sending hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary, What a beautiful photo of your bluebird. Please print a few cards of this special little bird. I have a very good printer and will print them for you. Just think of what happiness it will bring to the recipients.

    Please be careful on your upcoming trip. Enjoy the holiday with family and friends. Each and everyone of them become so dear as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your beautiful bluebird photos. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration and trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I am so sorry to hear of your sadness over a loss in your family. And yes, distance multiplies at times like this. Your bluebird photos are breath-taking as usual. I so enjoy visiting your blog. I understand your need to step back, though, for awhile. I have done the same and only post periodically now. Life is just too busy sometimes. I send you a hug from frigid Ontario (-18C tonight) and hope that your broken heart will heal with time. xo Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of a family member in the UK. It's times like that which make the distance all the harder.

    The bluebirds are adorable! We just put a birdbath in our back garden and I hope they will put it to use, especially with summer approaching. I adore watching the birds. As we're sub-tropical here, we don't see the seasonal changes like you do there. Lovely!

    I hope the computer issues get sorted for you. Learning new technology can be daunting but, once you do, you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

    I hope you have a lovely week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bluebird photos have me longing to catch a glimpse of some of our garden visitors. I thought I saw a couple last week but was too slow going for the camera. My sincerest condolences on your sad news. I know the distance doesn't make it any easier. I hope you have good luck with your new electronics - you'll be skilled before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My love to you as you cope with the loss of family back in the UK. I know that your heart is with them. How lovely to have the bluebirds back. Don’t fret about blogging...blog when you wish and don’t be concerned with commenting. I don’t know about your list, but mine is dwindling so that I have fewer and fewer places to comment. Happy trails...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear your sad news Mary .... your images are very poignant ... thinking of you here in the UK. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I wish we had your beautiful Bluebirds in our country - I adore them💙
    When I was first married I had a small collection of pairs of birds and my favourites were the Bluebirds! I’m a blue girl and also I loved their round chubby bodies and delicate legs!

    I’m sorry you have lost one of your family in England, so sad and difficult when you are an ocean away. Take care.xx

    OMG Sweet Mary, don’t even think about stopping blogging - you’re one of the reasons I’ve returned!
    We have such a special friendship and you’re one of my besties 👯‍♀️ the others are my lifelong friend, we were at boarding school together, plus others who have been friends for 50 years plus! Much like you and Paula!
    We will work through the new technology - wish I lived nearer and could sit beside you at the computer! At work I’ve got used to changing technology and I’ve found that usually things are changed for the better!
    Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving in Arizona - have a wonderful time with all the family!
    Fond love
    Shane😘


    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to read of the loss of your loved family member. It's hard to be so very far away. I do hope you get your computer woes sorted out, for I'd hate not to see posts from you.
    Thank you to Bob for serving his country.
    I'll wish you an early Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post shows just what life is often like for most of us - a mix of happiness and sadness. There is room for both in our lives, but I still hope the happiness outweighs the sadness eventually.
    As for those wildfires, that is so terrifying, and I can not imagine what it must be like to lose everything (and maybe even loved ones, people and pets alike) due to fire, water, earthquake or war.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary,

    The bluebird photos are furtastic! They are such cheery little creatures. :) Best of luck with the new computer. That's always a chore. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loosing a family member on top of the problems you are having with your computer can sometimes be just too overwhelming Mary. However, I am sure that you will soon manage the new technology, and you will hopefully enjoy blogging again very soon, we do not want to loose you.
    I felt exactly the same earlier on this year when my computer played up which is stupid really I suppose. I was not brave enough to start all over again though unlike you. My Mac is 9 years old, but I know it back to front. it is like an old friend. My son said 'it is too old Mum, buy a new one', but here I am, and touch wood it is operating well. A local man put a new hard drive in it, and didn't charge me too much. My son ordered me more storage, and my granddaughter's boyfriend came and put it in for me. The local man updated the computer to Macs latest High Sierra, which took a bit of getting use to, but, touch wood again, all seems to be swinging along happily.
    Your bluebirds are delightful - are they the little birds from the song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" - enjoy being with the family in Arizona, and have a lovely 'Thanksgiving' - take care Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How special to have bluebirds. We rarely see them, they are so elusive. So sorry for the lose of a friend in England. This is aways so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure your new macbook air is helping to that end. :) I;'m thinking too that these must be your favourite birds, stateside, no? They really are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.