Sunday, May 5, 2013

"Passage to Kamchatka".....................


Do you speak Japanese? How about Russian?

I think I need to learn a few words in both these 
languages, and fast. Perhaps "hello", "please", 
"thank you", "goodbye"....and of course "how much?".


I'll soon be off again, traveling with Paula on 
another adventure to parts of the world I'd never 
even heard of, let alone expected to see!


Flying from San Francisco to Tokyo. A day of sightseeing, 
a night to rest, and then riding the high-speed bullet train 
to Niigata. There we'll be boarding an expedition ship 
with another 80 passengers and sailing from Japan to 
the Russian Far East. 
We'll explore the isolated Kuril Islands and the remote 
Kamchatka Peninsula, often on Zodiacs, following the 
Pacific Ring of Fire. 
After this remarkable voyage, we'll fly nine hours across 
Siberia to Moscow for a couple of days of city sightseeing 
before heading home.


Hope you'll follow along on this one......should be very interesting, not many tourists are permitted to this area of Russia, and acquiring the necessary visa has been hell very difficult, quite stressful, and very expensive!

I'll be leaving in couple of weeks so this week means picking out what to take, and starting on the packing again....see you back here when time permits!


16 comments:

  1. OH! Russia is someplace I'd love to visit, especially the East. What a wonderful trip. You certainly choose exotic locales - lucky for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Konichiwa Mary, I found you via your comment on City of Blackbirds blog and was hooked! My daughter in law is from Hokkaido, but I have never been there, and am ashamed to say know very few words. Lucky she knows Aussie-English much better! Your trip sounds fascinating and I will look forward to travelling along with you. Arigatou....that's Thank you :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Mary, you're off again! We visited Moscow and St Petersburg and points in between a few years ago. I've heard that in the last year it has become very difficult and expensive to obtain a visa. I loved that trip and would be very happy to see the far east of Russia or the south. I look forward to learning all about this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read and see what you experience there. You are so lucky to be able to do all this travelling! Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful trip and look forward to seeing your photos on your return - what does your husband get up to whilst you are off having adventures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!!!! I love traveling through your eyes Mary, so this adventure is going to be amazing!
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes as you prepare for your next trip! As always, I'll be looking forward to your travelogue and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I cannot wait to see the pictures you take in Moscow! I would love to see some of those buildings in person!! Amazing. I am still offering to be Paula's granddaughter!! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How strange that you are off to Japan! And we are too next year! But by the looks of it we are heading south of Tokoyo and you are heading north!

    And we will make it to Russia one day although not as far east as you. That part of your trip will be truly unique.

    Looking forward to it!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are busy sorting through clothes and packing that means you do not have your eyes on the chickadee nest so that you can see the babies fledge!!!! :) :) Where are your priorities??!!!!!!! :)
    I am really looking forward to your next trip. It will be most interesting and thanks for taking us along with your travelogue and photos. They are the best!
    Farm Gal in VA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how exciting! I look forward to all of your postings. Enjoy the preparations. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing dear! I'm glad we will spend some time together before you go on the new adventure, and before I leave to the new place where I'll calling home.
    I know how hard it was to get those visas, so you should enjoy this trip as much as you can. Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love your adventures. I am traveling with you in my heart and I totally look forward to your posts here. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how fantastic Mary! (I'm behind catching up too.)
    The Kamchatka has the most amazing wildlife, seen only from the comfort of my armchair of course. I'm certain you will have another amazing trip and I'm so looking forward to being able reading of your adventures :o)
    Lots of love
    Rose H
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. To catch up with you it's quite an undertaking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have the most amazing experiences. I will definitely be following along. Happy Travels........Sarah

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.