Monday, November 18, 2019

Sunday supper for three. . . . . . . . . and Poldark!



Yesterday's Sunday was not as fun as this one of a couple of weekends ago
when I invited a special, longtime friend to spend an Autumn evening with us. 
That day we started in the gazebo with the heater on and a drink. 
The sun was low and the birds came quietly to the feeders for their evening meal. 
A few leaves were fluttering down, the breeze turned cool. . . . . .we moved
 to the dining room.

I love the idea of sharing a 'Sunday supper' with a friend or friends, and keep
saying I must do it more often. We sometimes head to our daughter Kim's home,
just 12 mins. drive, on Sunday afternoons. Visiting for a while, we catch up the
past week's news, enjoy appetizers, a drink, and play with her Yorkie, Razzy, who 
is always so pleased to see us. This means just a quick, light supper for the two of
when we return home ready for some Sunday evening television, usually PBS.

Last night was the fabulous Poldark finale - how we will miss it with those 
beautiful, amazing actors, and the spectacular Cornish scenery. Near the end, 
I caught a sly grin between Aiden Turner who played Ross Poldark, and 
Robin Ellis, who played Ross in the original series so many years ago. 
Robin was a heart throb in his own way, and was so much younger but 
remember it well. He was brought back in the part of the judge, appearing 
now and then, in this newer production. I'm sure that was very special for him.


Sharing a casual meal and lively chatter with friends can be so wonderful. 
I couldn't help wipe a tear when watching a scene in an Outlander episode we
 watched this past week. Family and friends all sat down at Jamie and Claire's
 kitchen table in their new home in North Carolina in another century, and for
 once seemed to have time to relax and enjoy a meal in peace. . . . . . . 
. . . . . . . . . .before another rollicking upheaval began to turn their lives
inside out!  

Thanks for your kind thoughts - I'm fine.
Here's to a great week dear friends and readers.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely evening. I didn't watch Poldark, but do watch Outlander. I read all of the books. I have to wait 6 months or so after the season ends on Starz, then I can order it on my Netflix DVD program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poldark was a favorite the first time around. If my son had been a girl, his name would have been Verity. 🙂 This time, I have only caught a few episodes. Not sure why I didn’t watch regularly. It certainly wasn’t because of the acting or the scenery.

    Hospitality is a blessing whether giving it or receiving it. Friends are one of life’s greatest joys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have been reading your blog for a while now, I think this is the first time I have consciously come across you mentioning your daughter. Is Kim maybe a bit like my sister, who does not like me blogging about my daily life, and has absolutely forbidden me to EVER post a picture of her, and not even give the first letter of her name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Poldark ..... shame it’s finished. Look out for His Dark Materials and Jane Austen’s Sanditon. It didn’t get the best reviews but, I liked it !!!
    Your table looks beautiful .... you have such a good eye and have similar taste to me. I love your home Mary. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loved Poldark and Outlander. I don't have Starz; so always have to wait for awhile for the next season of Outlander on DVD. Your table is lovely. Sunday afternoon visits with daughter is a lovely tradition. We need to do something like that, as we just don't see daughter and her family often enough for me. Her work schedule is so crazy it is hard to plan. Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that you live so close to your daughter and have those wonderful Sunday visits. Tim currently lives just two miles down the street from us, but by next week, he'll be 2200 miles away! We have him over for dinner 1-2x/week, so I'm really going to miss that family time.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.