Monday, February 1, 2021

Finding February joy -

English Folklore

 

So it's already February, goodness only knows where the month
 of January went.

Today I will flip the kitchen wall calendar to February.  
There's really not much excitement pencilled in - other than some
 upcoming birthdays, an online webinar date with my new health
 insurance provider, the appointment for our second COVID vaccine
 on Valentine's Day - of all days - and the 14th Anniversary of my starting
 a blog (my first one was Across The Pond for three years) which 
really doesn't seem possible!


Beautiful Barn Owls - Angela Harding 


January 28, 6:00 PM ~ evening moonlight after our light morning snow.
Known as the Wolf Moon, Snow Moon or Hunger Moon, it was
 the first of the 12 full moons we'll see in 2021. 
For me, a glorious full moon in the night sky is always joyful.


Male Eastern bluebird eating breakfast on my front porch 

According to folklore, many Native Americans hang dry gourds to entice
 bluebirds to nest near their settlements so they can enjoy their enchanting
 songs of happiness and hope. Just gazing upon one of the little flying
 cobalt creatures of contentment is said to bring joy.

I'm in total agreement and will be sharing more of these delightful
birds soon - they've now moved onto the porch in all the rain we've
been having the past couple of days. My camera has been active!
No doubt the "grass and grain" will not suffer here with so much rain.

May your February days be pleasant - remember sometimes we have
 to make our own happiness when times seem somewhat bleak.

Chin up!


12 comments:

  1. Darling Mary,

    Joy in the details!

    Happy February! Spring is nearly sprung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured a great shot of the full moon Mary. I love watching the moon as well. I will miss my bluebirds here in southwest Florida, but I get to see so many beautiful birds here that I never saw in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both grass and grain should be in for a bumper year here after the amount of rainfall we've had already this year. Happy February to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad it's February...one month closer to spring! Though you wouldn't know it here. We just had a big snowstorm and later this week, we hit the frigid part of winter where daytime temps are in the single digits - maybe breaking the teens. And below zero at night. So I hope it doesn't sound too awful if I say I want to rush through February!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice Mary. We're not having much rain or much cold weather. It seems to get worse every year. I look forward to winter with such anticipation and seen to get disappointed every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fourteen years!! Brava! I believe in old money you should be celebrating this year with ivory. And Happy February to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful barn owls, and beautiful blue bird too. The full moon has been lighting our night sky too! Happy February and Happy Bloggerversary (if that is a word :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Mary,
    We sure enough had lots of rain in January... Today it stopped and after being very windy, it calmed down and in the late afternoon I walked in nature around a lake with a friend and her big dogs. Enjoyed doing so!
    Don't you LOVE the all fluffed up Eastern blue bird?! They are so beautiful and also elegant looking.
    Let's hope they stay around and give you joy.
    What a Valentine's gift this year... We get our 2nd on the 18th.
    Hugs and congrats on your upcoming 14th blog anniversary...
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy February!
    Your birds are always a delight.
    I think I must have started reading your blog when it was Across the Pond.
    Gorgeous full moon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been having a lot of rain lately, and although it is causing flooding and other problems in some areas, we are safe here, and I am glad about it NOT being such a dry winter and spring as in previous years. Our groundwater levels are still not as high as we'd like them to be, but the current weather helps!
    January felt like a long uphill struggle for me. I can't believe I am so ready for another holiday, so soon after the 1 1/2 weeks break over Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mary,
    Everyone is talking about how much rain they have had. Wish that were the case here. We've had some snow and it has stayed. It's been very cold.
    So I come to your blog and enjoy your beautiful bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mary, There's been plenty of rain here, lately. The bluebird is so very pretty. We don't have them here and I wish we did. Glad you will be getting your second vaccine soon. We will have to wait for many months before we get ours. But all long term care residents and many staff of the homes are now vaccinated, so that is very good.
    Happy February!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.