Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Life saving?



This year I chose my own flowers during a whip round at the local grocery store the day prior to Valentine's Day!  Bob was willing but as there were so many to choose from, and I knew what I would enjoy, he said go ahead pick your own while I'm grabbing my cereal!!!  We do not delight in spending much time in the grocery stores now. Armed with a list, a quick pass with little time spent browsing is the usual.  Romance or surprise did not really come into equation, but choosing what I knew I would love was enjoyable.


I gathered bunches of roses, carnations and alstroemeria, all in faded shades of pink and cream.  The floral clerk came over and loved what I cradled in my arms and asked to take a photo - not of me but the flowers!
Back home in the kitchen, I first added the flowers to a vase to allow them a good clean drink, then later trimmed the stems a little and arranged them in the large vintage white pitcher.





On Sunday, Valentine's Day, we were up early to make our 9:30 AM appointments at the hospital parking lot for our second Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations. Well organized, as was the first visit three weeks prior, the volunteers in lime green safety vests directed the traffic through the chilly, soggy mist toward the canvas tents where cheery nurses, male and female, awaited with their needles at the ready.  
Because I have an allergy to iodine contrast dye, we were then directed to 30 minute parking spot to wait before leaving just in case I had a reaction, which I didn't.  We drove away feeling that we'd just received 'life saving equipment' which will hopefully prevent us from becoming ill or making others ill. We understand that this not a silver bullet and we must continue to be diligent, especially for the next 14 days.

Did we experience any after effects from the second vaccine?
Bob didn't, other than the expected soreness in his arm.
As for me - I awoke at 4 AM Monday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus, dizzy, shivering, with a somewhat elevated temperature of 100.1F.  I followed instructions, took Tylenol, drank water and went back to bed. . . . . .. and slept until 11 AM!  Rested most of yesterday - didn't even feel like blogging - and today feel much better.

21 comments:

  1. I love the faded colors of your flowers. Beautiful.
    People are have also this problems in France with Pfizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! What a relief that (almost) everything went so well with your vaccines, Mary. I am glad your side effects didn't last that long, and they were not completely unexpected and you knew what to do.
    The flowers you chose are absolutely gorgeous - no wonder the shop clerk wanted to take a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that the second dose of the vaccine can cause more reaction than the first one. Glad it passed quickly. Mary, you have an unerring eye for beauty in many forms. Those flowers are just gorgeous, creamy and soft, and oh so romantic, even if you did choose them yourself.
    I hope you can spend some time just enjoying that beautiful bouquet as you recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers are so beautiful. Glad you both got your second vaccine. Sorry you had a reaction! My second one is this Friday. We still have not been able to get K his first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reaction to the vaccine is good in some ways - it shows your body is responding! You'll be fizzing with antibodies before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . . .haha! I actually do feel somewhat 'fizzy' today, but perhaps it's because the sun is actually shining and I picked my first daffodil!
      Thanks for stopping by again - Mary

      Delete
  6. How exquisite are your roses Mary - what a lovely Valentine's Day gift from Bob. We dash around the shop too, in and out quickly and go a little as possible.
    We also had Pfizer jabs too, neither of us felt it go in or had any reactions either. At long last our Covid numbers are beginning to reduce, but caution must still be the order of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had the second one Rosemary? I didn't have a problem with the first, Bob was OK with both. I'm good to go now - only really felt bad for 24 hours! Yes, will remain cautious for a long time to come, this is not ending any time soon I fear.
      Mary -

      Delete
  7. Exquiaite flowers Mary. We have both had different vaccines and both had reactions. In UK there is a 12 week wait between the two vaccinations, which many of us are not happy about. Hope you are well now. It took some days before my energy levels recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours were both Pfizer - glad you feel better, as do I! 12 weeks is a long time to wait.

      Delete
  8. The dusky pinks and cream are beautiful together! Congrats, too, on getting your vaccines finalised. Who knows when our turn comes around? I think the first jabs are only starting next week in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful flowers! I always choose my own, too. I get mine from Trader Joe's. They have such good prices. Glad you are feeling better after your vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Mary,
    Glad you got that behind you and it still puzzles us that Pfizer has only a 3 week in-between period and for our Moderna version it is 4 weeks.
    By noon Thursday, we'll have our 2nd too.
    LOVE your selection of fresh cut flowers for Valentine; smart handling.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning selection of pink and cream blooms Mary. No wonder the clerk wanted to take a picture. You had a rather different Valentine Day going to get your Covid-19 shot. I am interested in the connection to iodine contrast dye because I have had trouble in the past with iodine in kidney X-rays. Also your description of your reaction matches what happens to me with common flu jab and even a Tetnus/Whooping Cough shot I had last year. I will see my doctor next week to discuss. Australia finally started its distribution of the Covid jabs this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mary,
    That bouquet took my breath away. The carnations especially caught my eye. All together, your bouquet is as pretty as I have seen.
    Going for my first Covid-19 vaccine shot today. Friends are taking me just in case. It's at the fire station about an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had severe reaction to Iodine Dye many years back during a CT scan - huge hives across my back - luckily still at hospital and was treated quickly. Other scans since used an alternative with no problems. Vaccinations have never bothered me, and I have had plenty when traveling to strange places in the world!!!! Also I can eat shellfish with no problems.

    Here, many people are having a reaction after vaccine #2 but thankfully it's usually minor and doesn't last long.
    Good luck when you get your jabs dear - I certainly feel much safer!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above was in answer to Patricia - and of course anyone who may have allergies!!!
      Mary -

      Delete
  14. Those flowers are outstanding! Just so beautiful. I am glad you are enjoying them. And, I am glad you have recovered from your vaccine shot. My second one comes due this Sat. I wonder what will happen?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you are now vaccinated and that the side effects were minimal. The flowers you chose are gorgeous. I love the faded pinks. They are very vintage-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous flowers!
    Sorry you had a reaction to the vaccination. I have heard some do have quite a reaction and some don't. I am hopeful I don't. First one coming this Friday.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.