Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Small Garden Birds - Quick Healthy Soup


Kitchen Window Flowers for this week include rosemary and
 snowdrops from the garden, and buttercups picked on an
 afternoon walk.
Simple is pretty. 
The English cut glass vase given me decades
 ago by my mother makes this posy extra special.


~ Carolina wren ~


Winter feeding of the Carolina wrens on our porch and feeders was, 
as always, fun to watch. Cheerful entertainment on the most cold and 
bleak days of the pandemic. The entire winter was a great one for
 bird watching and made days of smiles and happy feelings when
 everything else was often uninspiring.



I purchased another nesting box and hung it on the front porch. 
Made specifically for wrens and chickadees our smallest birds, 
other than hummingbirds who come here later in summer, 
the 1-1/8" entrance hole is the favored size for these two
 birds - hopefully one or the other will start a family here this spring.


~ Black Capped chickadee ~


Other small to medium sized birds include these - House finches
 (two males) and Northern Cardinals (one female).
It's been raining this morning and the fig tree buds now
 appear a wee bit greener at last.


I'm still often making soups - always vegetarian - and tried this one
 for the first time recently. 
May make a pot again today as it was really quick and tasty - second
 day reheated even better.


PESTO BEAN SOUP

Makes 4 servings

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 large carrot, chopped
4 cups of low sodium vegetable stock
1/4 cup basil pesto
1-15 oz can cannellini beans,
drained and rinsed
2 cups baby kale, spinach or chard 
or a mix of all three - remove hard stems
and roughly chop
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1  Warm olive oil in medium-large pot
over medium heat
Add chopped onion, sauté about 3 minutes
Add chopped carrot, sauté 3 minutes or until
onions are soft and translucent

2  Add vegetable stock, pesto and beans
Stir to combine
Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and 
simmer about 10 minutes - adding the greens
for last few minutes

3  Season to taste 
(I did not add additional salt, just ground black pepper)
Serve with Parmesan cheese, if using

Notes: 
I make my own pesto in summer and freeze in small containers
or snack size baggies - that way I can control the amount of added salt.
Baby kale is so much better than large leaves - if you aren't growing your 
own, or have a generous neighbor as I do, it is available in grocery stores.
Always use extra-virgin olive oil, the least processed and retains more
nutrients than other oils.

Bon appétit!

****************


 
Camellias are lovely right now - azaleas starting to bud but late this year. 

Our deck repairs/refurbishment are completed, we are very happy with
 the work and now have a great 'handyman' whom we feel we can call on
 for future jobs around the house.
That's a good feeling.



21 comments:

  1. The soup sounds like something I would love. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . . and it's easy/quick to make! I added orzo and guess you could use other short pastas which make it a main meal. We're trying to eat less!

      Delete
  2. I continue to be envious of the birds on your garden. We have red kites near here - lost of them - perhaps I should write a post on them? As I type I'm half watching an alpine club lecture about walking in Death Valley California, which I guess is about far from you as I am. I do love the US landscape though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to learn more about kites - please post!
      Been to Death Valley - didn't do much walking though - it's so HOT!

      Delete
  3. Delightful little nest box - hope a chickadee finds it. That soup sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody has moved in yet! We've had both wrens and chickadees nest on the front porch in other years.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the yummy recipe and the kale tip! As always, love your photos .... happy Spring to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Mary,
    That crystal vase from your dear Mom is oh so special! She must be smiling down from heaven.
    You got exactly the same wren house! They are so cute, I just love them and they're hard working catching spiders and insects.
    Lovely photos and THANK you for that soup recipe; delicious and yes, evenings often cool down so a hot soup is bliss.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many pieces of glass and china from both grandmother and mother - all are special.
      Healthy soup is a huge favorite here - and I love making them year round!

      Delete
  6. That soup sounds and looks lovely - good job I am not hungry right now :-)
    Pretty birds, beautiful flowers, a tasty soup and now the deck and porch work complete!
    Will you show us pictures of what has been done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I purchased some red pesto after you shared that recipe dish - it's so tasty I will use in other recipes, even this soup!
      It's raining again - will take deck pix later.

      Delete
  7. Dear Mary, how beautiful are the flowers, especially the buttercups. Your special vase is very similar to one I have, which was my mother's too - twins! I love the little nesting box, and I hope you get little chickadees there: I really love seeing them when we visit Canada. Great news about the deck and the handyman. They really are worth their weight in gold :) xxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttercups remind me of my childhood - I was surprised to find some at the side of the road just a few minutes from the house - I'll pop over and look for more.

      Delete
  8. That vase of flowers is such a cheery sight at your kitchen window. My rosemary is in need of a haircut, but I am hoping to see it bloom before I shear it. So far, nary a bloom :(.
    Thanks for sharing the soup recipe. It sounds delicious to me and I have some pesto in the freezer just waiting to be used.
    The camellias are in their glory now. So pretty.
    Glad you were pleased with the outcome on your deck. It will be so nice to have it in good shape for the coming seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rosemary is smothered in purple flowers right now Kim - it's so overgrown though and I've been pruning like mad because Bob dislikes having it hanging over the grass which then gets bald spots where the sun misses!

      Delete
  9. Dear Mary,
    Something for everyone, pretty flowers, a fine soup and three pretty little birds all in a row. Who could ask for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has it's wonderful moments! We are so fortunate when Nature surprises!

      Delete
  10. Your bouquet of flowers is beautiful.

    Don't you just love those little house finches? I think the males are so pretty with the red peeking out.

    Your soup looks delicious. I'm making soup tonight, as a matter of fact. Vegetable soup with matzo balls (picked up from a Jewish deli).

    Rainy and cold here for days...hope we start to get some nice spring weather here soon!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you warm sunshine soon Melanie. Hearty soup days, and even fires in the evening, are still going on here - but today we have off and on rain and a high of 80F!!!!!!

      Delete
  11. It's always a happy day when we find a good handyman. Love, love your bouquet and vase. What a treasure in that vase.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.