Thursday, March 25, 2021

Soup Update - Northern Flicker Pair


 Here's an update on the Pesto Bean Soup I shared in my 
previous post.
I did make it again yesterday. Used the basic recipe but
 added a 1/4 cup of ORZO pasta. . . . . boiled it separately, 
about 8 minutes, drained and added it to the finished soup.  
This was a good choice and actually made the soup more of
 a thicker dish. Served with warm whole wheat pita bread it was 
our main meal.


Really great Orzo from Abruzzo, Italy.

This morning I took everything out of the fridge/freezer and gave the interior
 a heavy duty clean. How does so much debris collect in the corners, 
and so many mystery freezer bags and containers hide in the back with
use by dates now history? Over stocking and panic buying at the beginning 
of the pandemic is much to blame of course!


Speaking of eating and storing food, Mrs. Northern Flicker has really
 become such a welcome bird - along with her Mr. - at the suet feeders.
 I'm hoping so much they have a family this spring. 
They're the only woodpecker who eats on the ground at times as they love
 ants and beetles. Here, when filling the suet feeder, a piece fell and she was
 there in no time having a special easy to grab snack!


Lately she seems to come more often to feed - perhaps he's busy searching
 out a nesting site. Later both male and female excavate the nesting cavity
 for her to lay 5-8 eggs, their one annual brood. Both will incubate and feed
 their young.

 
Whoever said don't wear spots and stripes together was totally wrong!
This is one gorgeous marked large bird. . . . . . . . . 


. . . . . . . and I love that they are so easy to identify - he with that handsome mustache!

Ok this is where I love you and leave you.
I'm off to my stylist for a haircut. I'm sure this will be the 
very end of my pre-pandemic red hair, last colored 13 months ago!  
Just a few final snips and my 'silver' will be 100% and shining!

12 comments:

  1. Those Flickers are striking birds, even if their plumage does look as though it was designed by a five-year-old with some coloured pens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet again I'm envious of your birds - we get woodpeckers at our place in France; such a delight, though they are quite flighty. My wife had her hair cut today too - she was as happy as could be... which makes me happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Northern Flickers are such dapper looking birds, and they sometimes visit our garden and feeders. Yay for haircuts! The bean pesto soup from your last post does sound delicious, as does the addition of orzo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, your birds pictures are great!
    And I envy you the 100 % silver - I have an appointment with my hairdresser today, too, but it will be months before I'm rid of all artificial colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get that great sounding pasta? Make sure you share pictures of you with your beautiful silver hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought mine at The Fresh Market which I doubt are in your area Penny.
      If you Google - rustichella d'abruzzo orzo - several places to buy that brand pasta come up - and apparently it's sold at Whole Foods which I'm sure you do have.
      Mary x

      Delete
  6. Dear Mary,
    My woodpeckers are eating my house, my barn and your guest cottage. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Mary,
    Lovely Northern Flicker shots and glad they love your back yard.
    Yes, the added Orzo sure makes for a full meal-soup.
    Welcome to your true colors; I've never ever dyed my hair...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen Northern Flickers here, though from a Google search, there are some in our area. Maybe they're just not common in my area.

    I bet you look absolutely lovely with your silver hair. Mine is gray, not silver. And I'm "only" 58, so not ready yet to stop dying my hair! ;-) My mom is 80 and still dyes her hair. Hard to say what I will end up doing as I age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my blog about the car - no they are not expensive; rather the opposite, especially second hand. They are popular in France but not the UK. I posted lots more photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Northern Flickers seem like very beautiful birds. I'd never heard of them before I read your post.
    Hope you like your new hair colour. My mum was toying with the idea of going silver too but then decided she wasn't brave enough to do it. I imagine it feels very liberating not to have to worry about roots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't it feel good to finally get to the hairdresser? Hope you enjoyed.
    I love seeing your flickers. They are such a beautiful bird. I enjoy it when they come to our feeder too.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.