Wednesday, March 17, 2021

St. Patrick's Day - Garden chores - delicious tea.

Sunrise this morning was accompanied by the loud hooting of a Barred owl in a tree right outside the bedroom window - it was an amazing sound. I opened the window hoping to see it but didn't. If you open this link you can click on owl sounds - the one I heard today was definitely the Barred owl.

https://www.audubon.org/news/learn-identify-five-owls-their-calls

I don't know where time goes. This past weekend the sunshine and temperatures were perfect and enabled us to spend a lot of time working in the garden. Blossom trees are opening, magnolia and camellias are beautiful right now. 

We were pruning and cleaning out flower beds of remaining fallen leaves. It became so warm on Sunday that I had to change into a short sleeved top. That resulted in scratched arms from the rose bushes, and from helping Bob cut out what had become a huge juniper, which had met its demise! Now there's more light for azalea bushes that will soon be in bloom, and later the summer flowering plants in that area.  


Sometimes life is just full of wonderful surprises. They don't have to be huge, over the top, or magnanimous. . . . . such as the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes Prize Patrol Dispatch arriving at your front door smothering you in balloons and bouquets of roses, holding a giant facsimile of a check with lots of zeros and YOUR NAME emblazoned across it!  

A gentle, elegant, fragrant surprise from across the pond popped up in the mail a couple of days ago!  More of the famous, and only, tea grown in the UK on the Tregothnan Estate in Cornwall arrived in my mailbox on Monday from blog friend Barbara at Small Moments. She also spoiled me with two truly gorgeous antique French embroidered napkins which I love. 

So today is St. Patrick's Day and sadly, for the second year in a row, there are no parades, no visits to local 'Irish' pubs for a drink with a bunch of cheery friends, or an Irish inspired meal. We will wear something green. We will chat with each other about our two fabulous visits to Ireland a couple of years back, and raise a glass together. We are playing our High Kings music CD, recalling our fun time when we met them on a sunny day in Galway. Bob will remember his Irish ancestors from County Kerry, and I will celebrate having my own live-in, life-sized leprechaun!!!!!

Erin go Bragh - and a happy day to you all.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunrise! Happy St. Patrick's day to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blooms look so beautiful! I'm looking rather forlornly out my living room window right now at the gray skies and bare tree branches. It is only in the 30's right now. Rain and high winds coming in later and going through tomorrow. March is not a pretty or kind month here. I'm not Irish, but Brian is (and Polish, too). Normally we don't do anything to celebrate St Patrick's Day, but this year for the first time ever, I'm making the traditional corned beef and cabbage. I found an uncured corned beef at Trader Joe's. I'll make some steamed carrots on the side and I also found a loaf of Irish soda bread at TJ's too. Have a good night with your leprechaun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Mary,
    Happy St. Paddy's!
    We certainly have fond memories from our work and giving seminars in Ireland. Pieter also lectured at the ISMS in Dublin, the International Society for Mushroom Science.
    Glad that your Japanese Magnolias are blooming now and that spring is unfolding.
    Pieter purchased some new azaleas for in larger pots on our patio.
    Active period is coming towards us.
    We biked yesterday a lot, 25km for me and Pieter a total of almost 35km as he'd gone shopping earlier... We so love our new Electra bikes.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and Bob! Working in the garden in spring is so rewarding (and can be hard work)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wonderful happy mail from the UK. Your friend has your number!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Until I read your blog yesterday during my lunch break, I was not aware of it being St. Patrick's Day; it is generally not observed here. But "my" Irish Pub (the one I rented for my 50th birthday and where I regularly go to the pub quiz in non-Corona times) hosts a huge party for St. Patrick's every year, too packed for my liking, so I have never attended and only know photos and stories ;-)
    Do you have a special St. Patrick's outfit? I think green does not feature all that much in your wardrobe otherwise, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, bet you are missing your pub quiz nights.
      You're correct, I'm not found dressed in 'Kelly Green' shades, however I do like olive green and wore a sweater that shade yesterday. On those African safaris I took, and became a fan of, olive green/khaki clothing - it's best for game drives when animals might be annoyed by bright colors, even white.
      Mary -

      Delete
  7. There is rather wonderful old fashioned tea merchant near where I live in Wales. I love the ritual too of boiling and using a pot - my grandfather would disapprove, he just used to pour water over in a mug and drink it straight- leaves and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....and I do sometimes use my late mum's now vintage teapot which I would never give up, it's so full, or empty, of wonderful tea drinking memories.
      Mary -

      Delete
  8. The plan was for us to visit Ireland last summer. And then Covid happened. Hope you enjoyed Saint Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A belated Happy St. Patrick's Day.
    I have had that tea and it is quite good.
    Interestingly I just ordered a small booklet on tea growers in Europe. I can't wait to receive it and see all the places tea is grown there. A tea farm in Scotland is sending it to me. I told them I would love to visit there farm the next time I am in Europe. I hope that dream comes true.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.