Sunday, March 14, 2021

Today - Mother's Day in the UK -


My 'snowdrops' are starting to bloom now, just in time to celebrate
UK Mother's Day. These are actually Leucojum aestivum known as
the 'Summer Snowflake'.

An English native dating back to the mid-eighteenth century, it is related
 to Galanthus nivalis. This prized naturalizer has umbels of pendant,
 bell-shaped, milky-white flowers with faint green tips and grass-like,
 strappy foliage. More moisture tolerant than other flower bulbs, it
 performs well near ponds or streams, just make sure to plant the
 bulbs above the high water mark. It's a strong, hardy and long lasting
 variety that thrives in areas of dappled sunlight. 

Some of you noticed them mixed with my daffodils in a previous post.
Thankfully rodent, and also deer resistant - yes, we have several beauties
 visiting the garden, especially at night - they are easy to grow, hardy 
perennials, a very welcome sight in early springtime.





May today day be special and all mothers loved, respected and remembered.


9 comments:

  1. I love snowdrops, they look like they are bowing their little heads, waiting for spring to come along.

    I hope all is well with you and Bob--I need to catch up[ o your posts.

    Sending love~~

    Jane❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so love your pretty snowdrops Mary. Yes, Mothering Sunday today, as celebrated by our local Anglican Church. My man brought me home a little floral nosegay from church this morning :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet flower. Happy Mother's Day in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary,
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful Summer Snowflakes. You have encouraged me to try growing them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rather beautiful snowdrops there - we have some too (not that variety), but they are so slow to spread. Thousands in the hedgerows near our house though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Mary,
    Lovely Galanthus nivalis and their relatives; love them all!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snowdrops are so pretty, Mary. I'm sure you are thinking much of home and the past today on Mothering Sunday in the UK. Hugs, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely picture! I just love snowdrops...
    Hugs,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a good Mother's Day.
    I love snowdrops and just planted some in our garden.
    They are so pretty in your picture.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.