Thursday, October 7, 2021

Knit one, pearl one. . . .


Purchased on my way to Antarctica ~ January 2013


Do you knit?

With cooler air flowing - here still only after sunset as days are still in
 the 80's - the click clack of knitting needles can be heard in my head.
 Now I just need to get my fingers loosened up.

I have to admit I'm just not up for big projects such as a really chunky, cozy
sweater or cardigan.  Following a pattern, usually printed in smallish type, is 
too hard on the eyes now. 
Store-bought, or an online purchase if you prefer, is much easier and much
 quicker.  A garment such as these can take a long time!  Winter would
 definitely be over by the time I completed something similar. . . .I'd be
 pulling the summer linen tops back out of storage. . . . .the ones I'm
 busy putting away this week!


As for cost, good quality yarn is not cheap. 
Buying a readymade sweater can be expensive if you're leaning toward
 good quality cashmere (my favorite), smooth, classic Merino wool, or silky, 
soft Alpaca, also a favorite. However, if you shop around there are some
 wonderful sweaters out there at more reasonable price points in blends
 of wool, acrylic, polyester, cotton, even yak fiber.

Way back in my teens I was quite a good knitter, making many sweaters
 and cardigans. Nowadays I'm knitting only scarves and neck cowls, usually
 while watching TV in the evenings. I can do this without having to bother
 with any patterns - plus I feel like I'm staying busy creating something rather
 than just wasting time staring at another screen - you know what I mean.


In all honesty, right now sitting at the computer, or in a chair with a heating pad
 is all I'm truly up for! Tomorrow I start physiotherapy which I hope will help
 with the pain in my right lower back/hip/leg. It's a month now since something
 went wrong and walking/bending has just become more painful, sleeping
 harder, and feeling good has been missing from daily life.

Yesterday Bob and I received our COVID booster - #3 Pfizer - at a local
 hospital. No side effects other than warmth and a slight ache at the injection site. 
We still go away from the house masked at all times - mandatory here indoors
 in public places, and we even keep them on when passing people outdoors.

After the hospital yesterday we headed to the mall to run a couple of
 errands - before my Tylenol wore off!  Amazed at how many, mostly young
people, were not wearing masks in the shops, even though all store 
personnel were!


Leaving you with something pretty. . . . . . . this lovely pumpkin/fireplace
 setting. Not mine but I do need to start doing something soon to make mine
 look more seasonal.  I'm hoping to make it to the pumpkin farm this weekend.
Have a wonderful weekend - it's almost here.




25 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing how you decorate for Hallowe'en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be minimal this year Pat - conserving energy for Christmas which is more involved!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Don’t those chunky sweaters look cosy, so does the chair with your knitting waiting. I knit constantly, mostly socks, I find it calming and creative, it truly does me good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ......I need to learn how to knit socks! Thanks for stopping by - I popped over to read your blog and found it most interesting. Love Italy (Yorkshire too, though I've only had brief visits there) and envy you your lovely place there.

      Delete
  3. I dont knit nowadays, Mary, but used to enjoy making cowls and scarves. I love soft alpaca wools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes alpaca is wonderful - quite different from cashmere.
      Hope all going well dear Barbara.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Mary,
    Hoping your aches will go away soon.
    Do you have a bathtub in your home? A good soak in an almost hot bubble bath often does miracles for our aching joints.
    Knitting looks inviting but several years back when my eye sight went down (before my eye surgery) I packed up ALL knitting needles, cable needle and whatever and mailed it out to our foster daughter in Indonesia. She's 42 now and younger then, she can still create lots of things.
    Under the Label: Hand Knitted (scrolling down on my blog) you find several posts about my previous work.
    Talking about chunky, this wool Aran sweater I did produce on my needles in only 11 days as Pieter had to go to Canada, in the very cold region, for visiting one of Campbell Soup's Mushroom Farms: https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-hand-knitted-irish-aran-mens-vest.html
    Pieter still enjoys wearing it on a cold winter day, without wearing an overcoat.
    Hugs and good luck with your aches.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I looked at the Aran sweater you knitted - awesome Mariette! Lovely that Pieter still wears it.
      Yes do have a bathtub but prefer to shower. Was evaluated and started PT. Will go bi-weekly and also do a set of exercises here at home - hurts but I will persevere until I get relief!

      Delete
  5. I don't knit, I never learned how but I would love to take up needlepoint. Love all of these beautiful sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy needlepoint, now find that too hard on the old eyes! You should try some though, it's very rewarding.

      Delete
  6. Dear Mary, I have never learned to knit but can do a bit of crochet; haven't done any for at least 20 years, though.
    I admire anyone who is good at such crafts, like my Mum and yourself.
    Mornings and nights are getting really cold here now, so I will have to pack some warm chunky jumpers today for my weekend at O.K.'s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was better at crocheting - I need to try harder!
      Have fun at O.K.'s - I'm sure he'll make sure you stay warm, lol!

      Delete
  7. I use to knit, but just scarves and afghans. Hope you PT works for you! Kent and both have had our booster shots as well as flu shots and yes we still wear masks while out in public spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I want it work because I feel really down not being able to do much around the house and garden right now. I can't just sit and knit 24/7 - I'll go crazy!

      Delete
  8. I haven't commented here in a long time but I still follow you! Is your pain possibly from sciatica? I developed that the last week in July and it was truly painful. I could not walk unassisted. I have been going to physical therapy since Aug. 1, twice a week. It has truly helped me. In fact, they have discharged me as far as spine therapy. I still continue to go for strength and balance. I no longer have to use a cane. I hope it works as well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Julie it's so great to hear from you after so long. I think of you often, along with our many original blog friends who have quit posting, and recall the good old days - the best days!
      I actually did have a spell of sciatica last year - it was a different type of miserable pain - but managed to work my way through it successfully. This time I need more help according to my doctor so am trying professional PT - started yesterday, will go bi-weekly and have a set of exercises to do at home. So glad to know it has worked for you and that you can toss the cane and feel more confident, that's so important as we age as falling is not good!
      Julie, hoping life is good for you, and your daughter, despite all we've had to contend with these past almost 2 years. Times are so different - you should think about updating your blog(s), I would love to see you here again. Meanwhile take good care of yourself.
      Mary x

      Delete
  9. Knitting is something I've never gotten the hang of. I made a few scarves and that's about it. I decided that I'd rather sew or embroider, or even crochet. Those chunky sweaters are so beautiful! I'm seeing that they are very in style this season and am keeping my eye out for one. I hope it cools down even more for you, and that seeing the PT will help you feel better, dear Mary.
    hugs,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes dear Lorrie. Time will tell - no pain, no gain, as they say!
      Knitting complicated patterns is never going to happen here - but at least I have a knitted cowl of every color imaginable and my old wrinkled neck will stay cozy, haha!!!!!!!

      Delete
  10. I love the colour of your wool Mary! I would LOVE to knit a cardigan...I just firstly don't find the time and when I was knitting, I had lots of trouble with my hands. One day I'd like to try again though. I can envision sitting on my rocking chair by the fire on a cold winter night, needles in hand, knitting a cozy sweater!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain dear, hope you will be motivated to try knitting again. I found it hard starting back again, after the long summer break, with my fingers not wanting move in the right direction, however after a few nights and several rows but not trying to knit too much at first, I'm back in the swing of things!

      Delete
  11. Hope you are soon feeling better, Mary.
    Do you mind me asking what yarn you are using?..it is knitting up really beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte - thanks for stopping by.
      Several people are enquiring about the yarn - I'll work on another post soon showing details.

      Delete
  12. Glad you didn't have a bad reaction to the boosters.
    I wish I knit. I have tried learning about 5 times in my life, but now my fingers just wouldn't do it. I did a bit of crochet a few years ago, but found it to stressful holding the yarn and hook in my fingers.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.