Friday, October 1, 2021

Nature books and my English childhood -

 


A few years back I discovered British author John Lewis-Stempel. 
His amazing book titled MEADOWLAND had won the annual
 British Wainwright Prize for nature writing back in 2015. 
I didn't even know that then, but the book called to me and I purchased it.
I fell deeply in love with that book and it rests on my 'favorites shelf' and
 will be re-read many times in the years to come. 
Since then I have collected more of his books, most recently this one, 
THE WOOD. I am enjoying it as I have the others.



Since reading Meadowland I have come to love many other
 books about nature, especially those focusing on the British countryside. 
This is really not surprising as I grew up there and spent much of
my childhood and teen years wandering the lanes and fields of Devon.
With a bicycle and a book bag, I covered a lot of ground. In summer, 
with a sketch pad, a somewhat soggy tomato and cheese sandwich, 
and a Thermos flask, my days were filled. Many starting early
 mornings gathering mushrooms with my mother, afternoons 
often with my best friend in tow. We cycled off to farms, 
fields and villages, my little 'nature books' such as Warne's Observer
 Series at the ready to identify flowers, trees, leaves, fruits, nuts, birds, 
insects whatever - nature was entertainment and I loved it all.

I just wish I still had those books. Instead I'm reading new writers of
wonderful nature notes books. Much of life has changed since I was
 out there, roaming free in fresh air, in exquisite landscapes so close
 to my home. Fields, woods and farmland within walking distance, 
historic, brooding Dartmoor just a short car ride away.

It was also only a short hike, bus journey, or bike ride to the shore. 
My parents never owned a car, but we could soon be swimming in the
 ocean, discovering sea creatures along the beach and in the rock
 pools - yes there were several coastline Observer's Books too - picnicking
 on the rocks, discovering caves in the cliffs etc. It was truly a wonderful 
life. . . . . .and nature books made it even more exciting.

The Observer's Books were a series of small, pocket-sized books, published by Frederick Warne & Co in the United Kingdom from 1937 to 2003. They covered a variety of topics including hobbies, art, history and wildlife. The aim of these books was to interest the observer and they have also been popular amongst children. Some of them have become collector's items. For the dedicated collector this could be a lifetime's work as there are over 800 variations, some of which are now rare. The values of the books can vary from 50 pence to hundreds of pounds........Wikipedia


***************



Photos of amazing women during my visit to India.

While on the pleasing subject of reading a good, sometimes very good,
book, I am also about a third the way through this one and finding it 
really superb. 
Although my only visit to India - Mumbai and Cochin - was a much too
 quick stop in 2012 as part of Cunard's Queen Elizabeth cruise from
 Singapore to Dubai, memories of that country have always stayed with me. 
Since then I've read many novels set in India and found them interesting, 
sometimes disturbing, but always enlightening, and they have taught me
 so much more about the vast differences in daily life in other countries.

Are you reading anything marvelous right now?

With the arrival of October I'm feeling happier - it's my favorite 
month, my birthday month. Today I started it well with coffee on the
 front porch in sunshine, a slight breeze, and a feeling that perhaps
 this will be the beginning of better days ahead. . . . . . .days such as
 these described in my favorite October quote by the great 
Canadian author of "Anne of Green Gables. . . . . . . .



Now if only I could run through those rustling leaves, 
little nature book in hand, and spy the "amethyst, pearl, 
silver, rose and smoke-blue" colors of the valleys.

Happy October days everyone.

20 comments:

  1. I can see why those books appeal to you, the cover of The Wood is very compelling and I like the title The Running Hare. When I was ten my best friend and I formed The Tree Club, and it sounds like we enjoyed nature as you did. I just completed reading a marvelous book written in the 1880s, Ayala's Angel by Anthony Trollope; I have read 28 of his novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recall reading Anthony Trollope years ago. Checking on your current read which I wasn't familiar with, I see it was his 80th novel - that's amazing!
      The Tree Club must have been fun - did you climb them as I used to do? Those were the days!

      Delete
  2. I'm on familiar territory here: I've read most of the John Lewis-Stempel books and remember having the Observers series, I still have a copy of The Observer's Book Of Birds' Eggs which dates from the days when collecting birds' eggs was still thought OK. I keep it just for those times when I find bits of eggshell and wonder what they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I think we were quite normal English children of our time - enjoying the countryside and nature, all of which was part of growing up on our beautiful island. The "Nature Table" at school comes to mind - missing for several decades apparently but now being brought back in many British schools which is wonderful news. Here youngsters are missing out on learning about the natural world which is sad.

      Delete
  3. You had a wonderful childhood. Mine was similar. I grew up out in the country on a dirt road. We had state land all around us to hike in. We lived on a lake and spent days swimming, fishing, etc. I just finished reading The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi set in India.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we loved it all outdoors - today the children are spending too much time indoors on the "you-now-whats"!!!!
      Must get this book - and see there is a sequel - it sounds like something I would really enjoy.
      Thanks for the heads up Penny.

      Delete
  4. Happy October to you, dear Mary! I love nature books, too, and although German children do not generally grow up with the Observer series, we have very popular series of books aimed at children to teach them about nature, history, technology and so on. My favourites were the Kinder Kosmos volumes, but the „Was ist was“ (What‘s what) books were also good.
    Have you read The Old Ways and Kate Humbles book about walking? I can highly recommend both, and have reviewed them on my blog, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert McFarland's "The Old Ways" is on my wish list. I have his "The Lost Words" and really need to read more by him. Not familiar with Kate Humble but will check her books.
      Thanks Meike.

      Delete
  5. Hello dear Mary,
    The English countryside is full of such amazing beauty and those books would be such a lovely way to experience it from afar. I am trying to think of such books about our local environment and will have to be on the lookout, for I cannot think of any off the top of my head. Have you read Raynor Winn's The Salt Path and The Wild Silence? I enjoyed them both for the story of people and the setting of nature.
    My most recently read book is The Last Bookshop in London, by Madeline Martin. It's one of those WWII novels that seem to be very popular just now, but I found this one to be better than some. It speaks of the power of story and books to help us go through difficult times by taking us out of our situation. I recommend it.

    October is here - hooray! It's also my birthday month and we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving, so there is lots going on. I hope to get out tomorrow and do some garden clean up. With the rain a lot of things are looking very bedraggled and unhappy.

    Have a good weekend, Mary.
    love,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Mary,
    Sounds like you found yourself some wonderful books!
    Strange the name Stempel (Stamp) is so pure Dutch and yet his family lived for 700 years in that area. But what before that?!
    It certainly is a unique gift for being able to write well.
    Under the Label (scrolling down below on my blog) there are 44 entries for India and 22 for Pond's India for whom we did consulting for many years.
    Both of us fell in love with the country and have seen a lot of it, working mainly in the South but traveling to the Main Office for a wrap up in other states.
    The food is heaven to us; we love it spicy and their variety is endless.
    We also have four sets of Medical friends that were born in India and have been fortunate for being able to attend the weddings of their children, in Canada and in the US.
    Wish I would be back to my favorite reading time but not quite there. It is not far out of sight though.
    Enjoy October and its beauty!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must know India well whereas my visit was all too short. . . . .but definitely colorful and quite fascinating. We have a huge Indian community in this area due to world famous hospitals - including Duke - and medical research facilities in the Research Triangle Park. Good Indian food too in several restaurants!!! Bob asked a lady once where we could find the best Indian food and she replied, with a smile, "in my kitchen."

      Delete
  7. Walking through leaves is such a pleasant October activity.

    Now this post is just the sort I very much enjoy with descriptions of your childhood and a discussion of books. I looked up the childhood ones and found what I thought might be them, but they were descriptive cards.

    Enjoy October...it must be lovely there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some of those old books for sale on Etsy Vee, I may treat myself some day!
      Still very little color here - trees are hanging on to their green leaves!

      Delete
  8. Happy October Mary! It's a lovely cozy time of the year! Nice memories of your childhood and I can SO MUCH relate to a somewhat soggy tomato and cheese sandwich! Oh boy now I'm craving one lol! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved soggy sandwiches in summertime - but the tomatoes had to be really good ones, fresh picked outdoors - not the hard, pale ones we have to eat in winter here!

      Delete
  9. Those books could tempt me.
    I did recently start reading Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. It will take me awhile to get through it because each chapter has so many thoughtful things to think on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a slow reader because I love to go back and re-read certain passages, and think about how the author came up with such amazing sentences, paragraphs. . . . and why can't I write like that!!!!!

      Delete
  10. I have Meadowland on my bookstack Mary, so glad you mentioned it! Nature books are always close at hand, they have a way of “settling” me when I need it most. Thank you for sharing Mary, as always, it is a pleasure to read your posts.☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall seeing it in your stack of great books Jeanne, you will enjoy it I'm sure. "So many books so little time" as they say, but with the colder winter weather approaching I'm hoping to read more during the day, right now it's mostly at bedtime and I fall asleep quickly!
      Thinking of you all at Tahilla - the land is looking stunning in your autumn photos.

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.