Sunday, December 19, 2021

A different tree - and off to a party!


Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree. . . . . . .how lovely 
are thy branches. . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . such a beautiful carol, and many versions are often played over
 the radio these close to Christmas days. 
On this warm, wet foggy morning pianist Tim Janis is playing this lovely
 melody in the background on my laptop. I'm burning the Tree Farm 
fragranced candle and the world is calm......at least here.

Christmas trees seem to be the most conspicuous decorative item for
 our most important, much-loved Christian celebration, and they come in
 many shapes and forms.
These are several years old. I carefully pack them away
 in tissue after the holiday season and they have held up quite well.
Don't have any real directions - a chunk of styrofoam stuffed firmly 
in a terra cotta flower pot, a wood dowel and pieces of printed 
music sheets, the thicker the paper the better - I picked up several
 vintage books of music at SuzAnna's Antiques. I cut the sheets
 using deckle edge scissors, gradually sizing them from large to
small with a small hole in the center, and glueing glitter on
some of the edges. Cut a paper star for the top. No rules really,
just use your creativity - they do look pretty and if you love things
made from old bits of paper you will enjoy these.
Any questions?  Be sure to ask.




Speaking of glitter. . . . . . . we're off to a Christmas Open House out
 in the country this evening.
I will wear black velvet but need something to give a little shine to my
very blah black mask!
I've decided best I can do is 'decorate' it like this . . . . . . . just 
using my dear late mother's marcasite clip! I also have small
marcasite earrings to match.
Do you think this works?




Closing here with a collage I made of the Christmassy corners around the cottage.
Enjoy your Sunday before Christmas. . . . . and the busy week ahead!






19 comments:

  1. Very chic mask Mary! My mother had similar clips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . .and they are so special aren't they Barbara - something truly vintage as I never see anything like them now. I love the color, classic iridescence!

      Delete
  2. Your decor is so beautiful! Thank you for explaining about your music paper trees. I love them and wish I were that creative and had the "gumption" to try and make one. ;-)

    I love the idea of using a piece of jewelry to glam up your mask for a party. Have a great time! I'm going to a casual women's gathering at a friend's house tomorrow night.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. You can make the trees - and of course they can be any stiff paper really.
      Have fun with your friends - and may your Christmas be special.

      Delete
  3. Your mask looks perfect and ‘ zuzhed ‘ up for Christmas. We are now being discouraged to go to indoor gatherings so, make the most of it Mary !!! Love your music paper trees ….. I have teams of music left by my Dad so I can make some too. My Mum had a lot of marcasite …… yours is beautiful . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees would be a great way to remember your dad when you make them for the holiday season Jackie.
      I'm nervous about being indoors with strangers - we won't stay too long and may not even eat or drink so we can keep our masks on. We are triple vaccinated but still not feeling 100% safe of course. The hosts love to decorate way over the top - a different tree in every room etc. and it's a big house - so I'm really just going to see that part!
      Marcasite was very popular during our parents era - don't see a lot of it now.
      Happy Christmas dear Jackie - all the best for the coming year.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Mary: I am utterly impressed! So much wonderful and style-full Christmas decorations! I will take a note about the music paper trees - and thus will have something to hunt (music notes) on a flea market, ha!
    The clip on the mask looks fantastic - very elegant, but also très chic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea to use the marcasite pin. I also love your paper trees that look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love the sheet music paper trees, Mary. I'm adding those to my list for next year. So pretty under the cloche. So many pretties in your collage, and that brick wall is wonderful. I like what you did to dress up your black mask. Very clever, as well as beautiful. Merry Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your paper trees are so pretty, Mary, and I'm glad you show them to us each year. What a beautiful black velvet mask you have, and the addition of the jewelry is so clever and chic. Your style is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you looked the picture of festive elegant with your glitzy mask!
    Like you, I am not comfortable around many people indoors; it can't be avoided when I go to the supermarket, but there I am in and out in 15 minutes, and of course everybody wears masks. My third jab will only happen in January, but even then there is no guarantee it will keep me (and my loved ones) safe from the virus varieties that keep evolving and spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary,
    You will be he Belle of the Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your paper tree! Merry Christmas to the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Mary,
    What a treasure to have your Mother's marcasite clip!
    We had a busy, busy Sunday full of performances of the Händel's Messiah. Singing as soprano in the chancel choir, soloists, orchestra... And after our rehearsals (2) and performances (2) there was a Christmas Party for all choir members and conductor. That was fun and relaxed. A long day but oh so lovely.
    Pieter enjoyed both performances and he sat in during one of our final rehearsals as well.
    He sang the Halleluja with...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. The embellished mask is gorgeous ~~ you trendsetter, you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The music paper trees are just perfect for this year--a great salute to all of our favorite Christmas songs! I had. book of music paper--I need to look to see if I still have it. I rolled 4X4 pieces and tied a festive ribbon around and with a hook, and hung them on the Christmas tree. I still have a few, no worse for the wear.

    I hope you have a super time at the party. Your mask is chic and needed!!! I have been using the generic paper variety as I hyperventilate in the fabric ones. AL and I have all three vaccinations, but some of our friends have still gotten the Delta strain. We are being very cautions, and as you and Bob, not staying long at any holidays parties.

    Merry Merry!!

    Jane 😘

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, your mask looks very smart indeed Mary - you have devised a new fashion accessory! Thank you for the instructions for the music tree, I will have to make one now. Your Christmas corners are very stylish - enjoy your beautiful Christmas surroundings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the brooch on the black mask. I am sure you looked stunning for the party.
    Your music tree is so wonderful. Now if I had room, I would make one. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.