Sunday, December 26, 2021

Boxing Day birds -


I love English robins. 
I love American robins too . . . . . . I love all birds.
Little chubby, round English robins are so different from our 
big hopping all around the lawn American robins. 
English 'robin redbreasts' are always welcomed on Christmas
 cards arriving from across the pond.
These are on my fridge right now, reminding me of my childhood,
 and being enjoyed over the holidays. . . . . . and they will remain until
I pack away Christmas decor, a job I really dislike!
English robins seem so happy perched on snowy branches around
the winter season while ours just do what they always do, wander
about on the ground, stand still listening, pulling up a juicy worm now
and then . . . . . . and of course coming to the bird baths or fountain
 for an often lengthy splash, swim, or bath, not sure which, but 
they really love water.




Boxing Day is my favorite holiday. I call it "my day" because I only do
 what I want to do!  I may just sit here all day in my pj's and robe, or 
I may get out and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having right 
now - all day sunshine and 74F - who can complain. I would have 
enjoyed a "White Christmas' of course but it wasn't in the forecast
 so there was no disappointment. . . . . . .and we do have January
through March when snow often pays a visit to North Carolina.

So, hoping your Christmas was memorable in many ways.
Ours was quiet, very quiet.
We watched the Queen's speech, as always, and thought she
 looked and sounded amazing at 95 years!

Did you watch the wonderful "Downton Abbey" movie last night?
The scenery, costumes, ballroom waltzing, kitchen scenes - and new
love stories for the future perhaps - were outstanding.
We really enjoyed it a lot. 
Followed by the Christmas episode of the always excellent
 "Call The Midwife" we got a big dose of English
 Christmases past.  I admit to wiping away a few tears and said
 a prayer that we will get to cross the pond again in the
coming year!

Enjoy your Boxing Day and this slow week ahead as we
await the ringing in of the New Year. . . . . .which we all hope 
will be a better one.
We forgot to even open the champagne last evening - but
there's always tonight.
CHEERS! 



8 comments:

  1. I love the English robins too. They only come here in winter.
    Our Christmas was not so great. My son tested Covid positive on Christmas Eve, even though he was fully vaccinated. We don't know where he got it from and now are stuck inside for 2 weeks. I had so many plans too but I guess I'll just plan some blog posts instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    Oh, you make me homesick to the Dutch winter garden and especially watching those cute robins on the feeding table! Fond memories and the American Robin does by far not compare with them...
    On 2nd Christmas Day (your Boxing Day) as we in our hearts kept tradition from mainland Europe, we both went for a bike ride. It was such lovely weather at 73℉ that we did get out. Tomorrow the painters are coming back to do all our entrance doors so we cannot leave...
    We had a very nice Christmas, quiet but we sang lots and lots of carols at Church on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas Day.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I love all birds and there are those extra cute ones like the little Fairy Wren here. The English Robins look very cute too. Call the Midwife is one of my favourite TV series. I haven't seen the latest Downton Abbey but I have seen previous ones and enjoyed them very much.

    I hope you and Bob enjoyed a lovely Christmas Day. I love the idea of having a 'my day'....I hope you got to relax and enjoy Boxing Day.

    We will be up to ring in the New Year 2022 and yes, let's hope it's a better one for everyone!

    Wishing you and Bob a happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary, what magnificent images of your robins. We have Robin-chats here in South Africa and they have a repertoire of songs and calls; also great mimics. I am so envious that you watched Downton Abby. I don't have television at all. Compliments of the season to you. Blessings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know there was a robin different than the American robin! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do miss the English robin and did not realise you had an American one. This is the New Zealand Robin https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/nz-robin-toutouwai/ although we do not have them up here. (I had to cut and paste to get the robin)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All robins - and all birds - are lovely, I agree! There were several robins on the many Christmas cards I had from the UK, and one of my uncles in Yorkshire never fails to send a "Round Robin" to myself and my sister, even though we know only a few of the people mentioned in the letter. I know many despise Round Robins but I actually enjoy reading my uncle's summary of the year!
    Like you, we very much hope to manage a trip to the UK in 2022. Our last visit with family and friends there was in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly I forgot to watch Downton Abbey special, but I think it is on again this weekend.
    Your robin pictures are just gorgeous!
    I sort of like packing away Christmas because then I can feel like the house is in order again and can be then cleaned thoroughly. I have started, but Jim keeps wanting me to leave it longer. I think tomorrow it will go in the bins to be put away until next season.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.