Friday, December 17, 2021

Christmas Thoughts 2021 -





Eugéne Samuel Grasset (Swiss 1845-1917)
Wood Engraving for the month of Décembre from his portfolio Les Mois -1895

This has always been one of my favorite depictions of December as
 Christmas approaches - snow, hellebores, wind, leafless trees,
a warm red dress, cozy wrap, and a huge bunch of mistletoe!

I'm certain some of you will recall how much I love this painting and
 I share it here every year!


Speaking of mistletoe, there was no kissing under our mistletoe 'kissing ball' 
last year, and you know why.  There are many stories related to how this
 traditional bit of Christmas season lore, and frivolity, started. 
Personally I like to go with this typically English version . . . . . it has that lovely 
Downton  Abbey warm feeling -

"The mistletoe tradition blossomed, first among
 English servants and eventually expanding to the
 middle class. The basis of the mistletoe tradition
 was that men were allowed to kiss any woman seen
 underneath mistletoe -- and refusal to accept was
 considered bad luck."

This year Bob and I are throwing caution to the December winds - at least 
here at home when alone. We are vaccinated X 3 so having a little
smooch now and then as we pass from the hallway into the living room
 where the ball hangs.

Hoping you are kissed under the mistletoe this year. . . . and 
will be showered with good luck in the coming year!



14 comments:

  1. My picture of Christmas would be Bunny Chappell, a retired farmworker from my home village, who would set off on his bicycle on Christmas mornings, his bike basket full of cards to deliver and a sprig of mistletoe pinned above the peak of his cap. The picture of him returning several hours later, his basket empty and his stomach full of mince pies and many glasses of sherry, beer and whisky was also memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I can picture that and I love it John. His return trip must have been wobbly on that bike!

      Delete
  2. No mistletoe at my home, but usually there is one above the front door of O.K.'s cottage - and rest assured there is plenty of kissing going on all year round between us :-)
    Caution? Between husband and wife? I don't think it was ever intended for spouses or partners to isolate from each other during the pandemic, as long as both were Covid-free.

    Love the painting, and it is part of your very own Christmas tradition right here on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you don't require mistletoe all year round Meike!!!
      No, we didn't isolate but we're still cautious - I always kiss Bob on his bald head to say goodnight!

      Delete
  3. Dearest Mary,
    We lost a lot of mistletoe when our huge oak tree came down...
    But you can see Pieter kissing me under the mistletoe: https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-traditions-kissing-under.html
    We sure miss our Hellebores!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been smooching each other all through covid, but no one else. Have a wonderful Christmas you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lovebirds!!!!! Enjoy your Christmas and stay well dears.

      Delete
  5. That's such a beautiful image and I'm glad you share it each year, Mary. No mistletoe here, but there's still plenty of kissing. Although not this week, Tim's had a cold and I've escaped thus far. He has gone into work at his office every single day of the pandemic until now - symptoms mean staying home. He's been working from home this week. Will be back in the office next.
    Have a good day!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope Tim will be over his cold soon and you can get all snuggly for the Christmas and New Year holidays! Have your checked your parcel and see it's still 'in transit' - hope it arrives this coming week!
      Hugs - Mary

      Delete
  6. I like that tale about the mistletoe, though I certainly hope that I am not kissed...unlikely, as there's none around. I also like your favorite image for December.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your December engraving is enchanting, Mary. And I love the mistletoe. However, what I'm fixated on are those fabulous architectural pieces over your door and window. Be still my heart! I would love a tour of your cottage. Seeing snippets of it peaks my interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lady in the red dress and mistletoe.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.