Monday, November 14, 2022

Night light -






Many people are sad at the thought of the winter months ahead. They sigh. They moan. They complain. They wish for springtime, summer, for autumn to stay longer. In all honesty the latter would be fine with me, autumn truly is my favorite season, but the coming of winter fills my thoughts today. 
This morning was cold, our first day since last winter with the temperature hitting freezing right at dawn. At 7AM I opened the front door, walked down the driveway to pick up the paper, breathing in the chill and tasting it. Different.
Now the clocks have changed and the evenings draw in earlier, and I gather the feelings, the woodsmoke fragrance, sounds from rustling trees. Different.  Outside on the fig tree the hanging lanterns turn on at dusk. I'm thankful for modern battery operated candles - placing them in plastic baggies keeps them free from wet conditions. 
I light the candles placed around the house, on the kitchen island, dining room table, sideboard (above) and Welsh dresser. One or two in the living room brighten that area when I knit and watch television, read a book or flip through a magazine. 
The house is small, cozy in winter. Soon the hearth will glow as oak and hickory logs fill the empty hearth, illuminating the bricks and turning them rich and rust colored as the dancing flames shoot high and warm the room. There really is nothing better than a crackling wood fire in wintertime.
How do you stay cozy in winter? Do you embrace the changing weather here in the northern hemisphere? I do feel that as we age cold weather is more difficult to deal with however there are ways to stay snug and safe, especially at home.



14 comments:

  1. How lovely this is, Mary. I think cozy is on many minds these cool November days and evenings. I really don't mind the longer hours of darkness at all. Candles, warm soups, tea, and reading by the fire are ways that I embrace coziness. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I love the other seasons best but winter is lovely as well...it has a charm that adds a warm cozy feel and a slowing down time you do not have with the other times of the year! Have a wonderful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embrace it? Noooo, that is much too strong a word. I have a fake fire and an electric throw and that is the extent of staying cozy and safe. Stay snug now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel very low during the Winter I think Autumn is my favourite month for the colour and light. No tips on keeping cosy and warm - it's so mild here I think we are very lucky we dont need our heating on in surrey (UK) as our power bills are sky high :)

    ReplyDelete

  5. Well, my winters now that I am here in Florida are my favorite time of the year! It's when hurricanes stop coming. The weather turns beautiful. mostly in the mid to high 70's. The farmers markets are filled with fresh fruits and veggies, as the growing season is in the wintertime here. I can sit out on the lanai and enjoy my morning coffee or an evening glass of wine. I was fortunate this past October. We spent a month in the Georgia mountains and I enjoyed the fall weather and colorful leaves. The place we stayed even had a wood burning fireplace that we enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about winter. Of course, it doesn't get that cold here but I still enjoy lighting candles and curling up in a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Mary,
    Yes, this is the 'short' period for creating a cozy nest for living indoors in warmth and comfort.
    Just in time have I finished two sewing projects, altering our flannel duvet covers. So now they snugly fit into the now larger sized down duvets.
    That is a difference of some 10 inches over the years.
    We both like them being wider and longer!
    Luckily I had spare sheets for using that fabric.
    That was purchased for our mattress and box spring in the Rose Suite.
    Easily I can use another coordinating sheet for the box spring...
    But how cozy it feels for sleeping between all cotton flannel!
    Dressing warmly and using our booties again—a new season has started and we better take advantage of it.
    Wish we even had more time for snuggling up with a good book to read... There is so much to do every day and it takes us longer to do things.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Especially at home, yes! Winter outside is grey, wet, windy and miserable. But inside the house we can have thick doonas and an open fire, with hot soup and a cooked dinner.

    In summer, we are lucky to get cold smoked salmon and a salad for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your description of the fire in the hearth reads so beautifully!
    I like all four seasons, they have their own beauty each, and I would definitely not want to live in a part of the world where there are no distinct seasons. Winter can be harsh, but working from home as much as I do nowadays makes that easier, too.
    When O.K. is here on the weekend, I like to light a candle on our dining table when we sit down for the meal. The candle then moves with us when we retreat to the living room for the rest of the evening. And of course, my Advent/Christmas decoration involves more candles (all of them real).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of the seasons Mary but, I think my favourite is Spring because the new growth is so fresh and beautiful. But, Winter can be so cosy, with fires going, candles glowing and eating comfort food ! Unfortunately here, everywhere is a mess, it's pouring with rain and I can't find anything !!! { but, it will be lovely when its all done } XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candles for sure. I have one battery operated one that I love seeing it come on each night and brightens a little corner in the house. Thankful for my cozy bathroom, which I sometime put on over my clothes. Also thankful for thermo window coverings in some rooms. For the most part I don't mind the cold. I just don't like the long darkness of night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mary, It's been unseasonably cold here and will continue to be cold. I am grateful for my in-floor-heating throughout the house. You have the right idea about using candles (real or not) in strategic little corners. I have even painted all of my fabric lamp shades a soft peach color. Makes for instant coziness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You conjure up a most appealing scene so beautifully, dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love every season, Mary - and as being winter born, I feel attracted to snow and candles and walks and red cheeks. For a while. And yes: I easily cold - thus I wear more warm clothes than others.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.