Thursday, April 29, 2010

Heading into the blue...................

Looking out across the English Channel ~ Spring 2009

Sometimes I stand looking directly across the Atlantic Ocean, dreaming about another trip home across the vast expanse of water.  To a familiar place, the country of my birth, the place where family and longtime friends still live and wait for me.  If you've read my profile you know I've been traveling that route for over 47 years, back and forth until it's become second nature.  Usually it was fun, several times the journey home was sad.

Rockers on a Summer's day in Wake Forest, North Carolina ~ 2008 

Leaving the comforts of my adopted home here, my next journey will take a curve.  The familiar things of my English home will be missed this time when the plane turns away from Europe and heads South towards the African continent.  One stop in Dakar, Senegal to refuel then on to Johannesburg, South Africa........18 hours to relax (luckily in Business Class) and to share thoughts with my friends about our adventure ahead.

Flying like a bird....to some place new and strange. 

 A safari is an overland journey, usually a trip by tourists to Africa, traditionally for a big game hunt; today the term often refers to a trip taken not for the purposes of hunting, but to observe and photograph animals and other wildlife.  There is a certain theme or style associated with the word, which includes khaki clothing, belted bush jackets, and slouch hats.
~ From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~

Safari means "long journey" in Swahili - originally from the Arabic "safra" meaning a journey.


I've already read several books about the countries I'll be visiting, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa.  I've watched all the movies I could get my hands on.  My wonderful friend Paula who's taking me on this trip of a lifetime has shown me photos she's taken on numerous previous safaris! I think I know what to expect......but I know it will be the unexpected that will blow me away!

16 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful time, make sure you have a warm sweater for evening, it can drop really cold after sunset now that they are going into winter. It's a good time of year to visit though. Looking forward to seeing all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God go with you Mary.
    It will be such an experience for you, somethng so new, so unlike anywhere else. Will there be riding on elephants?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I hope you have a really wonderful time, I know you are going to enjoy it and I look forward to your posts about the trips and of course the photographs.

    Take care,

    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Mary, how time flies. I have missed a few of your posts. Visiting everyone everyday is just not possible. My chores are neglected as it is. Your post today and the previous one speaks of a wonderful journey ahead. I will be so excited to see your photos because knowing you, words will be unimportant, because your photos will tell the whole story. Smile. Have a wonderful trip and be safe.

    Today is my grandson's birthday and I did a special post for him. He will be looking for comments so if you have a moment please drop over.
    Thank you so much.
    Love you bunches,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time....what an amazing journey you are taking!
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be blown away for sure! Savor every moment. What a delightful way to celebrate the life of a friend with his wife and girl friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary~~~

    I did not click the follower button and just noticed that I had not been receiving your posts on my blogroll under your new blog name. In any case...that is all resolved. I do have good new...you have won my giveaway...the shadow box. Now I need to find out if you have left for your trip or if you can still email your address to me. Sending an email to you now Dear.

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels and it sounds like you will be in good hands. Happy safari and photo taking...
    Looking forward to your reports when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, you've been busy posting while I've been in the garden instead of at my computer. I've so enjoyed scrolling up and down reading these recent posts. Each a visual treat as usual. Can't wait to see the safari photos when you return.
    Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful trip..look forward to your photos & stories!
    Blessings...
    xoxoGert

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh HAVE FUN!! I am excited for you!!! I am also excited for all you will share!! Gods speed my sweet friend!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Sometimes I stand looking directly across the Atlantic Ocean, dreaming about another trip home across the vast expanse of water. To a familiar place, the country of my birth, the place where family and longtime friends still live and wait for me."
    I waved back, did you see me?
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is going to be such a wonderful trip for you! I wish you the best, and happiest trip ever!
    Take Care!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.