Sunday, April 25, 2010

Peace reigns........


My two beautiful Peace rose bushes are blooming in front of the cottage - one by the porch, another in front of my bedroom window. I only get to pick a few during the season, preferring to see them blooming in the garden.  This is the first one cut yesterday. 

This radiant, sweetly perfumed flower has a fascinating history.  This rose was named the day Berlin fell to the allies during World War II.  The day peace was signed with Japan, it won AARS (All-America Rose Selections) honors and members of the United Nations were presented with its blooms.........golden yellow with pink edges.
(from Jackson and Perkins website) 

The vase?  One of two petite wine glasses in silver holders I snapped up at a brocante in Aix-en-Provence in October 2008.  The monogram says 'Vin Bravais' which translates as 'wine faced'.  Anyone know more about these tiny glasses and when they were used?  Any help from you blogging gals in France would be wonderful, thanks.


Found the lovely oval platter on Thursday, very old transferware (cannot make out the blurred backstamp), complete with crack and chip which makes it all the more lovable to me, and definitely worth the $15 I paid for it. The floral design is a blue-green shade, almost grey, so perfect and French looking. 

This platter was a great find at a new shop now open in the former 'pepto-pink barn' next to my favorite SuzAnna's Antiques.  The cute building is now freshly painted in attractive colors.  Named Two Old Birds, owners/sisters Debbie and Susan offer lots of antique and vintage treasures.  I'll be sharing more soon.

14 comments:

  1. A beautiful rose - roses here are only just beginning to come into leaf, can't believe you already have flowers. I love your platter, lovely colour and design, I like transferware but don't own any. I really must start visiting some antique stores and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful rose. The color and the story behind it is great.
    I hope you are well and having fun in your special stores you manage to find all the time.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rose is beautiful and I can almost smell it's wonderful frangrance.

    The platter is perfection....
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rose is beautiful, and the wine glass perfect for displaying it. You always find the neatest things. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    Your Peace rose is beautiful! I hope you've been doing well.

    My interests have taken me completely away from blogging these days. I've been doing genealogy research and have found some very interesting things along the way. I even found my own name in a book someone published in 1970 about one of my ancestors. He was a dyer in Manchester England before coming to the US in the 1700's. I couldn't believe it when I saw my name on those pages! So, my dear, part of my line comes from your own beloved England. Actually, more than one line comes from there. Just another thing we have in common. Talk to you soon!
    xo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite roses. Mine arent anywhere near out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely rose!! You have a Yorkie too! Aren't they great?!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say enough how I love reading your blog, it just relaxes me to read and look at your gorgeous photos. I can't wait to read about/see pictures of Africa trip upon your return.
    Best Wishes~
    Lenay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lenay - how kind of you to leave such a generous comment, I really do appreciate it. Glad you enjoy my words and images......and hopefully on my return from Africa I'll have some great things to share with you and my other blog friends.

    Have a fabulous day.....wherever you are!
    Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling, I stumbled upon your blog and while here, I enjoyed my visit very much. Your blog is loaded with interesting posts and lovely photos. I have joined your followers, and will return often to visit with you.

    Love & Hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw a similar platter yesterday at an antique mall for $85. So you did very well! I hate to cut my blooming flowers in the garden also.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peace is one of my favorites, too. The pink tinged yellow petals will brighten any room...or yard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peace roses are my very favorite! I use to have the yellow ones..I could watch them bloom day after day!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Great memories......
    Blessings.....
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Peace rose is one of my favorites. It grows in front of my house and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.