Saturday, September 17, 2016

Out of Africa. . . . . . . . for real!



I've loved getting my hands on any books, articles, even memoirs of people who
 lived in Kenya back in the early to mid-1900's when life here was so much different,
and the country was known as British East Africa.
Danish author Karen Blixen wrote Out of Africa under her pen name
 Isak Dinesan. One of my favorite books, it was followed by the magnificent
 award winning movie which was probably the catalyst for my interest in 
 Kenya and wanting to know much more about this country, the landscape,
 its people, and of course the animals who inhabit what has to be a paradise
 on earth. 

A dream came true for me during our day to explore Nairobi and surrounding
 areas. A guide drove us to the actual home and gardens of Karen Blixen standing
 at the foot of those same Ngong Hills, 7Km from the city on land where she had
 her coffee farm from 1917 until 1931.
This lovely house, with the wrap around veranda which was used for scenes
 in the movie with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford in the lead roles, is now a
 museum, donated as a gift from from the Danish Government to Kenya in 
1964, and was opened in 1986 as one of Kenya's national museums following
 the huge popularity of the movie Out of Africa.
Guided tours of the house (no photos permitted inside) display a lot of Karen's
original decor, her furniture, plus many of the props used for the film, including
 the gramophone! 
Do see the movie if you haven't, or rent it again as it's so wonderful!




Museum Guide Henry.
Karen's Original Farm Tractor, a 1922 Fordson Model F
for my farming friends in Utah, Gina and Gene.






20 comments:

  1. Be still my heart! Oh how I would love being there sitting on that veranda with a cup of tea and that view. We could chat and dream together. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous experience! It looks just like the movie. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book and the film too Mary - love the tractor that you found for our mutual Utah friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thrill this must have been. Your first photo is stunning!

    I haven't seen the movie and I'm sure Alan will love to watch it with me after hearing of your adventures, as well as Bob's, in Africa!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved the house...and my husband would have loved the tractor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen that movie and will now. I have always loved Robert Redford. :) What an amazing adventure you are on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a thrill! I first came to a knowledge of Karen Blixen/Isak Dinesan through the writings of Louise Bogan who hailed from my corner. I must reread them as they were wonderful. Perhaps, I think so, Bogan wrote a biography of her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome! It's been many years since I've seen Out of Africa. Now I must watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just catching up with your trip and it sounds and looks stunning! I've never seen Out of Africa (and ashamed to say haven't read the book either), so will have to sit down and do this along with looking at your trip unfold xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The veranda looks so cozy and welcoming ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my I love that movie, have seen it like 1000 times....well not so many but anyway :) The house is so beautiful. I can't even dream how great this trip of your have been. Absolutely fantastic!
    Hugs
    Henrietta

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that movie,has moments that make you feel like you live life intensely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful that you are having such an exciting trip so far! Keep the beautiful pictures coming so we can travel along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was an amazing film, I can only imagine how much more amazing it was in "real life" ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto to what NotesFromAboard said!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Bucket List tour for certain. I would so love to go there ❤️ Thank you for sharing . Much love...

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.