Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Scribble Picnic. . . . . . .whatever floats your BOAT!


In Kenneth Grahame's Edwardian era children's book WIND IN THE WILLOWS,
 published in 1908, illustrated by Ernest H. Shepherd ~~~ Mole and Rat are rowing
 up the canal in Rat's boat. They are discussing nautical things and life in general
 when Rat is heard to utter ~~~

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely 
nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about
in boats."

I've messed about in boats a lot!
From ocean going cruise ships to kayaks.
From river boats to ferries.
From ice breaking expedition ships to rubber Zodiac boats.
I've loved them all and in fact am getting ready to travel on 
another in early May - more on that trip later.

So why the very ordinary, somewhat plain wooden rowboat
for today's Scribble Picnic entry?
Well this could almost be one of the very first boats I ever sailed 
on as a child. Family friends took me mackerel fishing along the coast on
 a sunny English summer afternoon, long, long ago!
I still remember it to this day, and when I noticed this similar rowboat
 anchored in the calm harbor on a chilly December day last year while
 visiting home, so many memories came flooding back.
I turned my photo into a sketch - added color with watercolor pencils.

Hope you stop over at Michael's creative blog HERE today and view the boats
our little group of talented artists will be sharing at the Scribble Picnic.



18 comments:

  1. Mary, this is beautiful! I love the tranquil feel about this and that reflection, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job here Mary and you set the scene so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! And what wonderful memories you must have of the many many boats you have been on throughout your lifetime, Mary. I look forward to hearing of your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a keeper. mat and frame and hang on your wall. Love it. Especially the reflection... Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, messing about in boats - I know it well. What wonderful memories - and love your scribble picnic boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,
    That is lovely. I am still amazed how you do this. You had a much better upbringing in boats than I did. I married into a boating family and still have times when I don't feel comfortable, but working on it.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely Mary and worthy of a frame.
    I am off again in May too, but feeling very tired as I do hope now, I hope that by then I will have recovered sufficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a wonderful beauty in the simple lines of this rowboat. What craftsmanship it takes to make a seaworthy vessel. I love hearing your memory behind this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this boat doesn't look simple to me, it looks like it could take you on adventure like tom sawyer or someone who travels a lot.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I so love reading your lil' gems here. Another wonderful recollection and pice to go with it. Haha, I have to admit, at first was surprised to see that simply boat sketch when you;ve been on so many amazing kids but now I get it. Great job all round. Your pieces really do add to our picnic collection in the most wonderful way. I never cease tiring of reading your prose too. (I can see where Cassie indirectly gets her abilities from too, passed on down. :) Thank you soo much for this lovely piece. It is frame worthy indeed, as Wanda noted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the very first time fishing in a boat, too, but not as warmly as you remember yours. 🙂 I like your edits 🎣

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your boat drawing! I also love your messing in boats. What fun images now in my mind. So curious as to where a boat will be taking you next. I thought I had found a boat trip for next year, but now can't find it online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it wonderful the way the sight of something can bring memories flooding back? Glad your lovely boat did that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boa tarde, a tela é uma belo trabalho criativo, sua reflexão é excelente, obrigado pela bela partilha.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your boats are lovely and wonderful reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, I love your little boat. It just dawned on me as to why I've had such a hard week this week in regards to missing my father....he absolutely LOVED boats. He passed away about 6 years now. I miss him SO much. He was way to young to die... 61. Sigh. Anyway, I'm learning to hold memories such as this close to heart. I wish he could see how much my life has changed and is blessed. (Great husband, children's illustrator, college degree, etc.)

    Anyway... this is lovely and I've enjoyed reading about your wonderful memories associated to boats. I've been in one at two different times. I cannot swim but it wasn't too bad. :)

    Wishing you a lovely weekend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful piece for the Boat theme, Mary! You certainly have been in a lot of boats, ships etc... I remember once going out on the bay in a small tinny/boat. There were four of us. The small boat had a motor but it died on us and we literally had to row back into the shore...not an easy task when rowing against the current. It seemed like we were never going to make it back to shore. haha

    How exciting that you are going on another trip in May...I'll look forward to hearing more on that.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.