Wednesday, July 24, 2019

It's raining figs!



They're sweet, tasty, healthy, and there are pounds and pounds of them 
ripening on the huge Celeste fig tree in our front garden!

Yesterday afternoon we had some heavy rain which lasted long enough
to give the parched garden a good soaking.  Longed for rain always
looks and sounds wonderful and it caused the temperature to drop
 by 20 degrees which was awesome! There was thunder and lightning
 but we were thankful the predicted strong damaging winds didn't 
accompany the rain.


Here's the tree in the rain - I noted many birds leaving the feeders 
and sheltering in the branches when the rain was heaviest.
People stop in their tracks when they realize this is a fig tree - it certainly
has become a talking point around the neighborhood.

Fig and Finch

I will definitely be pruning again in late winter when the branches are bare
and I can see where to remove old wood.  The tree is impeding parking
and walking up the driveway now!


This morning, the tree in the sunshine - and the grass looks greener since the rain.


Many figs end up such as this one - a meal for a bird!
Birds enjoying dining in the tree include many cardinals, finches,
robins, catbirds, and blue jays.
On the ground, enjoying fallen fruit, are mourning doves, brown thrashers, 
towhees, and of course the never ending visiting squirrels!


Glorious figs - summertime sweetness!

17 comments:

  1. I remember my mother picking figs from a tree in our yard ~~~ thank you for resurrecting that seeet memory. My son arrives in Raleigh mid-August. Leased a house in Wyckford area. One year should afford him plenty of time to scope out where he wants to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any chance you'll be coming to visit him later Helen? We could meet up perhaps!

      Delete
    2. I will absolutely visit, sooner than later I imagine. Would love to share a glass of wine. I remember years ago when I shared your 'tea/coffee stained tags' on my original blog. Your blog is one of the most enjoyable I follow.

      Delete
  2. Lovely figs, Mary! As you say, the rain was lovely to see and listen to -- all day yesterday. We received it here in the Piedmont area of N.C., too. It was so very welcome and the cooler temperatures, as well. Your tree is pretty, and the large fig leaves look amazing. :)

    Have a great day!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are the most beautiful leaves - I even have a great salmon recipe where you serve on the edible leaves, very tasty - here's the link from an old blog post.

      https://abreathoffreshair-mary.blogspot.com/2015/08/serving-up-savory-figs.html

      Delete
  3. How nice that there are enough figs to go around. Sometimes it seems the birds/squirrels get the bulk of the harvest when it comes to fruit bearing trees and shrubs. Your tree is amazing. Large yet nicely shaped. I don't think I'll ever see a fig without thinking of you :). We got the rain over here too. Wasn't it delightful and this morning dawned so fresh and clear. Enjoying this short break from the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fig tree feeds the entire neighbouring population of birds, it seems! It looks great, and I trust you won't cut it back too much. Also, I am sure you have by now a good collection of recipes to use all that lovely fruit in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it large too - it's really a show stopper this year!
      Made a few pots of jam yesterday, even though I said I wouldn't this year! Bob keeping picking daily and brings bowls of figs to my kitchen!

      Delete
  5. Your neighbors must be blessed by the fig harvest. Do you make homemade fig newtons? Perhaps some jam? I don’t know that I have ever eaten a fig fresh from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh. i sooo love fresh figs...had no idea the trees grew this large!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do when you refuse to prune them a lot! It's really far too tall now and we can't reach the top fruits - and this year there are so many up there! They say to prune a fig annually to 4 feet late winter and then it will grow about 2 feet more by harvesting time, making a 6 foot tree much easier to reach the top! On the other hand, I love my big tree, it's really beautiful to look at!

      Delete
  7. Oh how neat Mary! This is the second blog I've visited that talks about the abundant fig harvest! I'm envious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mary, What a treasure you have. I would love to sit under your tree, when it rains, and eat and eat your beautiful figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish they lasted longer and I could ship you some Gina!

      Delete
  9. Fig trees are so beautiful! And I love that you have enough to share with the wild life. Our figs won't be ripe until September.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tree AND the bowl of figs are just beautiful. Wish I were your neighbor! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.