Monday, July 29, 2019

Raggedy wrens - making pesto . . . . . . . . .


Like most everywhere in the northern hemisphere, we too are going
 through heatwave/drought conditions.
I recall childhood summers of near perfect weather. 
But those are history, in another time and place. 
I seem to dislike almost everything about summer now - except perhaps
 fresh picked tomatoes and country rides under deep blue skies - and
 although I don't wish time to fly too fast, I will embrace the arrival of Autumn. . . . 




. . . . . . .and I know the garden birds will too.  

The pair of Carolina wrens came to the porch yesterday looking tired and dishevelled. 
 Usually such sleek little birds with never a feather out of place, they were
 ruffled, messy and obviously feeling the heat. I see them drink from the bird baths
 but don't recall seeing them actually bathe, something the robins love to do.
The pair each clung to a hanging basket chain and proceeded to have a
 very noisy conversation. No doubt it was about the weather, just like the rest of us!

*****************



8:30 AM Saturday we were at the local Farmers' Market - and things were jumping.
We went for German Johnson tomatoes - best for slicing and tucking 
into a traditional sandwich. Bob's favorite is easy, two slices of a good dense
 oat bread spread with a smidgen of salted butter, layer of juicy sliced tomatoes 
slathered with real mayo with a grind of black pepper.  Let sit a little while to 
bring to room temperature, then bite in!  
Summer in a sandwich. . . . . . . . nothing else required.


I was late sowing my own three pots of basil seeds this year - waiting until
 returning from Ireland knowing they would need daily attention. 
All pots are looking good now and I'll have plenty of basil to use, freeze as pesto,
 and share. 
Until my harvest I'm buying bunches of basil. At the market I found a 
large bunch from an organic farm and made pesto as soon as I arrived home.
Green and gorgeous, BUT within minutes in a bowl the top had turned 
that ugly army green shade.  
Later I checked Cook's Illustrated online to see how that can be avoided and
found two remedies you may already be familiar with, but quite new to me.
I will definitely be testing them in the upcoming pesto making days!

         BLANCHING - deactivates the enzyme that causes browning when cut
 basil leaves interact with oxygen.    
             Blanch basil for 30 seconds in boiling water and then shock it in ice water
 before drying it and proceeding with the recipe. 
This brief dunk causes minimal flavor loss. 

OR

ADDING LEMON JUICE - which contains antioxidants citric and ascorbic acid.
Add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice per 2 cups of packed basil.
Lemon juice also adds a pleasant acidity to pesto.

*************

Have a happy summer week in the kitchen - so many fabulous vegetables
to play with now that August is almost here.

       

7 comments:

  1. Those wrens perfectly illustrate the expression, “Look who just blew in.” They look as if they’ve been in a storm. Poor things! Hope that’s not how you and Bob are looking. I am not looking forward to autumn this years. Summer seems mostly just fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodnes those poor little birds do look like they went through the mill. It's getting hot again here in Texas. We had a bit of relief from the heat last week and it was so nice. Nothing ever lasts when it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor little hot wrens! I hope your weather cools soon. Having always been a summer girl I am sad to say I don't much like it anymore. The high temperatures do ruffle our feathers. Your pesto looks so delicious. We have a lot of basil in the garden this year I must make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that tip of blanching and lemon for pesto. My son says he can eat it on everything so next time he comes home I will try this. Your photos are completely lovely. I love that picture of the wren. He looks like he is going to molt. I saw our blue jays and they look ratty too.
    Do you know I was just thinking about how it never seems as hot to me as a child as it does now. I think what I decided was, I was always swimming. My poor Mom was in the house working, and I was swimming with my brothers. Thank you for stopping by today. I had to really push myself to paint this summer but I am so happy I did. My only fly in the ointment, is the what if that lurks in my mind, what if we have a nine earthquake, painting won't matter much. Have a beautiful week Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer is my least favourite season. Those poor birds do look rather frazzled. I suppose you're right, the heat must have got to them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting your pesto quickly into an airtight jar also works. Or pour over the top of a jar a thin film of the oil you used.( just to keep it airtight.) Freezes well too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind the leaves turning to army green, as you call it - it is simply part of the process and does not take away from the taste of a good pesto.
    Poor little wrens, they really looked like many people I see on my home from work on a hot, hot day - including myself!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.