Monday, July 22, 2019

Summertime fruit desserts -



OK, I know I said I wouldn't be heating up the kitchen with the oven - but I did
after all over the weekend!
A punnet of California plums needed to be used so an easy plum galette.
 I used a readymade piecrust, threw in a few toasted sliced almonds - and it 
came out well. I love summer stone fruits, especially when cooked.


Then there are these - the first gathering of Celeste figs came Saturday.  
Still not much rain but all this heat and sunshine has apparently started 
the ripening. They are now coming along fast and furious and I've
started sharing with neighbors.
Jeannette if you're reading this I know you'll want some, so come
on over.

As the oven was on for the galette I used the heat to roast figs in butter, 
 Acacia honey and lemon juice, tossed in walnuts for crunch.
These keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and are great with 
a scoop of ice cream. . . . . . . . but I enjoy them added to my morning
 Greek style yogurt which cuts the sweetness.

. . . . . . and do go HERE for a lovely easy recipe for the little fig frangipane
 tarts I shared a few years back when overrun with figs - great for tea time
or dessert.

Enjoy your week - hope everyone gets some cooler days for cranking
up the oven and baking something fruity and healthy.

8 comments:

  1. How my husband would love those figs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those figs look amazing...I'm always so envious that you have all those fresh figs right at your fingertips! And your galette looks delicious. I've been buying organic nectarines here and they're so delicious. We finally cooled off here in northern IL - in fact, today has been absolutely perfect, weather-wise: in the 70's, sunshine, cool breeze, low humidity. I turned off the AC and have had the windows and doors open all day. Haven't baked in a long time though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks delicious. I hope you get cooler weather. We are still in the US and it has cooled down in MO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious that plum galette. I am sure that the figs are wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, lovely!!! I've not had fresh figs in a long time, and love them with goats cheese and/or nuts and/or vanilla ice.
    Plums are wonderful, it is almost plum season here, too, so I hope there will be some in my fruitbowl by the weekend or next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How mouth watering are those figs, Mary. They are one of my favourite fruits, but so expensive and hard to find here. I was looking today, but came home with a couple of pears instead. Love the galette too, so delicious. I'm looking forward to some great fruit experiences in our up-coming travels :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They both look yummy! I have some fresh peaches, but I am going to eat them in an arugula salad with baratta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our plums won't be ripe for a few more weeks. Your plums and figs all sound sooo good. Today we went to a U-pick farm and picked blueberries, which I must get in the freezer in the next hour. Berries is what is ripe all around us right now.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.