Sunday, August 4, 2019

Children's books and bookshops . . . . . .



So many books, so little time.
I've yet to meet anyone who just doesn't like books!
How about you? 
We may not all be buying, borrowing, ordering, swapping, searching for books
 every minute of each day, however if you're like me, your day seldom passes
 without picking up a real book to read for some reason, be it a recipe, 
instructions, reference. . . . . . . or just enjoying a good story.


All these photos were taken in May during my second visit to what has to be my
 favorite bookshop ever.
Unfortunately it's over 3,000 miles from here in Bath, England so I haven't been able
to get there often! I was introduced to Mr. B's Emporium by my wonderful friends 
Ruth & Mike who go there often. They've taken me there for my two much too brief
 visits, and we shopped for fabulous books together. 
Named as one of the Ten Best Bookshops in the World (Guardian), and twice
being named UK Independent Bookshop of the Year, plus many other awards, 
Mr. B's is amazing in so many ways.

If you would like to learn more, and there is so much more, about Mr. B's,
be sure to visit the website HERE. Fabulous book info, recent store extension
 info (which included this awesome children's area), and great Podcasts to
 listen to. Today I'm listening to the Podcast with Tara Westover, author of the
 best seller 'Educated, and Mr. B himself with his 8 year old daughter whose
discussion on children's books featuring schools is delightful.





I spent a lot of time in the children's section of a large book store as a child - it was
a favorite place to spend any money received for birthdays and Christmas. It was
definitely not as colorful and fun as this shop though.

So pull up a comfy cushion and each choose a special children's book to get lost in!
Do you have a special one you recall enjoying as a child, or even as a grownup?

I think I would have to choose an Enid Blyton (1897-1968) book, one of the
Famous Five series which I loved as child. A series of children's adventure novels, 
  the first book. Five On A Treasure Island, was published in 1942. 
The novels feature the adventures of a group of young children – Julian, Dick, 
Anne and Georgina – and their dog Timmy.
A prolific British writer, Enid wrote a total of 762 books selling more than
 600 million copies!!!!!!
The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.”— Dr. Seuss

9 comments:

  1. What an amazing place, I can see why it is your favourite shop! One of my favourite childhood books was 'The little White horse'by Elizabeth Goudge. I still have my old copy and can reaf it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your love of books. For myself and especially for kids. Having been a teacher I really look for books that are great to read aloud to grand kids. Good books for teenage boys seems to be an area not too many authors write for. I have all the best books from my teaching days and my own boys growing up. I also have a small collection of new books ready for my 2 grand sons when they age a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are THE BEST! You know I am a Librarian (although I have not worked at a library anymore since 1992), and back then, the children's library was my responsibility.
    As a child, I largely grew up in a library myself - where my Mum worked part-time. Books were always an integral part of my life, and there were so many that coined my childhood, such as the Narnia books or Astrid Lindgren's stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too loved Enid Blyton as a girl, especially the Famous Five. I remember I tried to read every one of them (don't know if I succeeded). This bookshop is stunningly beautiful - what a shame we are not going to Bath in our forthcoming trip. However, we are planning to see some bookshops in London, and look forward to it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This store is magical! I love books, bookshops, and libraries. I have spent many happy hours in bookshops around the world and prefer reading to any other entertainment.

    Thank your for sharing this magical space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family restricted what I could read growing up; so I didn't read alot. In high school I learned I could ride my bike to the library and check out books and then the addiction began. I love books and could easily get lost in this wonderful book store. I think my favorite are Shel Silverstein's, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bookstore! I love bookstores so much that I'm known for sometimes basing day trips on visiting independent bookstores that I haven't yet discovered. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think spending time in a bookshop or a library is a wonderful stress reliever. One of my favorite antique stores has an upstairs room devoted to the sale of books. With a few chairs, tall library shelves, the scent of older books and an old window, it makes for a perfect hide away. I read this somewhere once, "Richer than me you'll never be, I had a Mother that read to me". It's a wonderful memory to have and to share with little ones today.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.