Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Rustic fruit tarts . . . . . . . . .





Sometimes I ask myself what on earth I'm doing in the kitchen on these hot
 summer days, cooking and baking, heating up the house, then sitting down to
 supper. . . . . . . whoa. . . . . . . that's what it's all about, the suppers of course!

We eat breakfast late, actually that meal is more like brunch because we
 usually skip lunch when at home. This means eager anticipation of a tasty 
supper arriving on the table around 6 pm is enjoyable. 
Afternoons in the kitchen prepping - thankfully now so cool with the new
 air conditioning system - sometimes baking, is for me much
 better than trying to sit rocking on the front porch in steamy, humid,
100 degree weather, batting off mosquitoes and other biting insects.
Often a cup of tea around 3 pm keeps us going until time for an aperitif. . . . 
these days a well-chilled glass of rosé works best!


About the baking. . . . . . . . .this was done on Sunday morning when I had a
 punnet of plumcots and some extra blueberries requiring attention.  
I love my fruits cooked rather than raw - easier to swallow and digest.
As we were heading over to visit our daughter in the afternoon, I made two
 galettes, one for us to enjoy at suppertime, and one to share with her.
If you've never baked with plumcots you should try them - I've found them 
really delicious when unable to find apricots or plums.
These turned out great - galettes/crostatas are so quick and easy to make, and
delicious to eat. 

Bon appetit!

7 comments:

  1. Nice!
    I love fruit most when it is just "as it is", not prepared in any way, but sometimes I have blueberries or other fruit with creamy yoghurt. As for plum tarts, it is their high season right now in Germany, but can you believe I've not yet had a single piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious~
    I love all fresh fruit, including plumcots. Our prune plums are almost ripe now and hoping the critters don't get to them before I can have some for baking and just eating. I don't mind sharing, but want some too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious. I have never heard of plumcots. Learning something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful! I baked a loaf of rye bread today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! They look delicious! I'll be making something similar for dinner, it looks just like the rustic fruit tart, but it's called an "oven pancake". We'll be having ours with nectarines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad you have an aircon system to keep you cool with those searing temps Mary!
    Your galette looks amazing!
    However, it’s the first time I’ve heard of Plumcots! Living in the colonies can have its disadvantages you know! Anyhoo, I googled it and and a whole new world opened up for me… haha!
    I often make a savoury galette for supper, with seasonal vegetables - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your galettes look so yummy and summery! I eat all my summer fruit fresh though - I don't have trouble digesting them. And if I baked something delicious like your galettes, I'm afraid I would eat way too much of that. We're mainly no sugar (processed) here. I did make hubby a banana cake for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, though I used organic maple syrup and not much of it. Have never seen plumcots here!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.