Sunday, January 10, 2021

Winter days -


The chilly grey days of winter are actually a favorite of mine.

These weeks after the busyness of the holiday season
are always a time of longing, planning, for mulling over
 changes perhaps required in one's life, for decluttering
 not only the home but also the mind.  

On what should I focus?
Of course this year is different in so many ways
already. Coming into it dragging the heavy baggage
of a world pandemic is very hard. Daily numbers keep 
climbing - illness, treatment, and sadly death, make 
each new day a struggle.

Procrastination seems to have taken over.
Do this or do that today?  Does it matter? Who knows
about the dust bunnies under the bed, or if a shower was 
skipped on a cold morning. Just splashing water on the face
 and pulling on the comfy clothing seems enough when
nobody comes to the door anymore.


I see signs, and I love many of them.
This one cheers me up. 

Perhaps embracing each day as part of the wonderful year, 
no matter the forces trying to pull us down in so many ways,
is the secret.



A Child's Garden of Verses
Robert Louis Stevenson
Illustrated by : Charles Robinson


Books, especially picture story-books mentioned in this verse,
are always a delight, taking us back to childhood when life was
 good, people were kind, words were gentle, and smiles were
 not blocked by masks. I have several books with pictures
and love looking through them on a winter day.


The holidays have gone now, they are a memory which will remain
 clouded by a time when the world was different and dangerous.
Our children and grandchildren will remember clearly, our great
 grandchildren hardly.  
For those of us now hoping for a vaccination preventing us from an
 illness which could take us to the brink, even fling us over the cliff edge, 
but which will give us more time to make up for what was lost last
 year. . . . . .our fingers are crossed, tightly.

Yearning to travel, see far flung family and friends again, walk in
beautiful places in the world, all is so missed.


Meanwhile the garden visitors bring joy. . . . . . 


. . . . . . . along with the precious warmth of home comfort whilst awaiting
 what will hopefully come later this year. . . . . . 


8 comments:

  1. Dear Mary, I love winter too. It's a time for recharging our batteries and taking the time to stop and think about what comes next. I feel that winter's quiet time is essential got my peace of mind and, the older I get, the more I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, you are saying so much of what I feel at the moment. Life seems overwhelming. We are in full lockdown again, which I'm pleased about, and numbers here are surging upwards. So many people just do not take it seriously.
    I need to give myself a shake and get back to doing things again...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the coldest morning yet of this season, -7 Celsius as we speak, and I am so glad that I can work from home and do not have to stand on icy platforms, waiting for overcrowded trains that are notoriously late.
    With your extensive travelling in the past, you must miss this more than many; I miss my beloved Yorkshire and the family and friends there. From what things are looking like right now, it seems unlikely that we will make it to England this year; impossible to plan anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary - so often I visit a post of yours and leave feeling both renewed and recharged with positivity. Thank you for all of your lovely messages and your very special images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your birds and travel photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how I feel about winter! ;-) We had 12 straight days of gray, cloudy skies and gloom. On Saturday, half a day of sun. How wonderful it felt! It re-energized me. Then right back to the dreariness. And with what has happened at our nation's Capitol building, plus some issues going on with our vet which has me very upset...it's just not been a good couple of weeks. I am doing my yoga every day and some home organization projects and journaling. Those things do help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly is a mixed baggage. I was slower at putting Christmas away. Normally I de-clutter at this time of year, but taking it slower because no place to go. I had to smile at just splashing your face with water, as there are often days when I say I don't need to wash my hair and for sure no makeup. Different days for sure. Oh but I dream of traveling and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary, I think a lot of us have similar feelings these days. Sometimes I go a whole day without washing my face, and get into my pjs by 4:30 pm! There are a lot of good things to be grateful for (as we all know and are) but oh what a wonderful day it will be when we can get together freely with friends for a meal, and travel wherever we wish. Here in my own life I am helped by going out for a walk most mornings, just around the neighborhood, something I quit doing months and months ago. It helps. Sending you hugs and greetings from the West Coast!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.