Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Childhood Memories - The village pub. . . . .




The Devon Dumpling, Shiphay, Torquay 2019


The Devon Dumpling 2014
Old signage was still there in this photo.

Although I left my home in England 58 years ago, one of the things I still miss is my 'local'. British people living in villages, towns, even cities, usually have a favorite pub (public house) within walking distance of their home. It's not just a place to have a drink, or even a meal, it's the social center of that particular community. The pub has been the heart and soul of British social life for centuries especially in villages. Nothing better than an hour or so spent with friends at the local pub as the drizzly rain fell, which was often the case!

When I was growing up, this particular old building was part of a dairy farm where they also raised angora rabbits. Later, the farmhouse became a 'school of dance' and I took ballet and tap classes there for a year or so when I must have been about six or seven. It then became our local pub while I was still a child. I recall walking there for a bag of Smith's Crisps (the best potato chips) now and then, just a 5 minute walk from home, and during a safer time in this crazy world. After reaching my late teens I had a drink there off and on (drinking age is lower in England than the US) and played a game of darts, before emigrating to the States. I have always stopped by on visits home, a familiar place I could never pass up. There's a 'Beer Garden', the outdoor area where you can take children as they are not permitted in pub bars, and 'The Dumpling' is well known for excellent pub food. Meals are served both in the bar and in an upstairs dining room - we always try to get the snug little table by the fireplace, especially during a winter visit.

Over the years I've enjoyed dozens of lunches and suppers there with family members and old friends during my visits home, and one very enjoyable reunion many years ago in the '80's for the 'children' of my village neighborhood. I met up with playmates and school friends, some I'd not seen since I was eight when we moved to another house also just a short walk from the pub. That was certainly a night to remember and I won the prize - a bottle of Champagne of course - for having traveled the farthest distance to reach our 'local'. It did feel a little strange as several people still lived within a stone's throw from the pub, whereas I had traveled close to 4,000 miles!


Shiphay Village thatched cottages and the Devon Dumpling pub.

Trip home to Torquay with granddaughter Jasmin in
2015 to celebrate her 18th Birthday.
Sadly, our trip scheduled for last year didn't happen due to the
 pandemic travel restrictions. Reservations are 
made for this spring and hopefully we can go - if not we will
try for autumn. The Devon Dumpling will wait for us I'm certain.

14 comments:

  1. The little towns are so charming. I find myself using Earth Google to "road trip" through the country. I love the hedges and stone walls that border properties. Maybe one day, I'll make the trip and visit my cousin who has lived there for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    Yes, the very same in the deep South of The Netherlands, the Burgundian culture of Cafés and they even are great for meeting over cup of coffee or tea.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting a local pub or two was on our list of things to do when we visited England several summers ago. Pubs feature so much in British culture as portrayed in television shows and novels. It was fun to eat several meals in pubs. Yes, the Devon Dumpling will be waiting for you. Thinking of all of my American friends today. hugs, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your local pub! And how wonderful to take your granddaughter to visit as well. My brother lived in Oundle, near Peterborough for 10 years and we spent many evenings at his local pub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to have such a special place remain all these years that gives you a real sense of belonging upon return. All communities should be organized in such a way that gives that sense of steadfast connection to a place. Being able to easily walk to neighborhood spots is a bonus that too many don't have the opportunity to enjoy. We moved so much when I was a kid that I'm not in touch with anyone from my childhood. Heck, I'm not even touch with much of my own extended family anymore. Sometimes distance is just too much for some people. :) Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a wonderful morning coffee read, thank you!
    Hopefully, The Devon Dumpling will still be around next time you can make the trip to England. So many pubs have been closing down over the last 10 years or so, and probably many more won't be able to reopen after the restrictions will be lifted. Going to the pub for quiz nights with my friends or just a drink or a meal of fish & chips is one of the few things I really miss during these days of limited activities. My local is our Irish Pub "Towers" in a corner of the market square, where I also celebrated my 50th birthday in 2018, renting the entire pub for myself and my 70 guests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a lovely part of the world (my brother lives in Devon and we hope to move in that direction for our retirement in a few years).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devon looks so beautiful - sadly we have never been to that part of England. I have enjoyed visiting English pubs on our visits in the past, they have a lovely cosy atmosphere and delicious food. In Australia, I have no interest in pubs whatever! How lovely to be planning another visit - here's hoping things improve and you can go again in safety. Happy New Year Mary. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary,
    Wish we had a local Pub right here in our little town. But you will be happy to hear that "Das Cafe" is waiting for you.
    I'm still using old Pic Monkey even though it is past their deadline. In the meantime I'm also playing around with the New.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I hope you are able to travel back to Devon this spring! On my visit to Bristol in 2000, I went to church on Sunday morning with the family I was staying with. After services, my friend said we were taking a walk to the local pub. I asked how far it was and he said "only a couple of miles". Mind you, I was wearing heeled shoes! But off we went. And I still remember that pub to this day. It looked much like yours, only a bit smaller. It was definitely a gathering place, as even children were in the pub with their families. My friends had beer (I hate beer) and I had a glass of wine. We had these wonderful fries that had a brown gravy on them. I had never had anything like that before. Ah, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Devon Dumpling sounds like such a cute name for a pub. It reminds me of pot-bellied old men with very red, round faces. Pubs are so charming and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks lovely. I wish we had a local here, but the closest is the Legion. :) That is one of things I miss living in Europe-- the local places that become part of your daily life. I really miss traveling too.
    Hopefully one day I get to experience the lovely thatched cottages in person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful memories, Mary! I like that you were able to meet up with your childhood friends. The most interesting part had to have been where life had taken one another, and not just geographically. I hope you get to travel back this year. I hope you add Chicago to your itinerary!

    Happy New Year to you and Bob❤️

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.