Thursday, December 17, 2020

Places to ponder . . . . . . . .




She is always part of my decor year round however at Christmastime
 my santos doll gets a little more dolled up so to speak.
Out come her golden wings, vintage rosaries, beaded wrap, velvet 
pillow from France, and of course her jewelled crown.

The Santos dolls take their name from the Spanish word for Saint, and are also known as Santons (French) and Santibelli (Italian). The Santos that started the genre of dolls we currently represent (primarily Spanish Colonial and Western European style), were originally started as copies of 17th century carvings by priests. Originally, Santos were created for use as in-home altars.  They were needed in small villages that did not have a priest, as well as for when it was not possible to travel to church, such as during times of war.  Their development flourished in Europe  in the 1700's and 1800's, primarily due to these wars.



This year I decided to place her in a different area for a change. 
She's now at the top of the stairs brightening up the doorway to the attic.  
It's another spot where a chair can fit and I can sit for a while . . . . . and yes, 
you may find me here these days pondering on the meaning of life, but mostly
 on the Christmas season, quite different but still as always beautiful, full of
 peace and hope for the future.
 
Do you have favorite little places around your home to sit
 where you can think, reflect on . . . . . . . . and ponder?


13 comments:

  1. She certainly makes a statement! very glamorous with the beautiful wings on. my spot to sit and ponder is in my conservatory, which is full of twinkly fairy lights at present:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Santo doll is such a unique piece and I love the way you decorate her for Christmas. My favourite place to ponder is beside the living room window where I can see trees and sky. Sometimes the sofa sits here, sometimes it's an armchair - both are comfy.
    Happy pondering time to you, Mary. This is quite a year for thinking deeply, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your doll looks gorgeous. My favourite place is sitting in my reclining chair in front of my patio doors reading or just gazing out onto the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Santos is beautiful in her Christmas mode. I am still working on finding the spot to ponder in my new home....guess I need some chairs first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a beauty Mary. Like her 'dolled up' look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you doll up your doll :) She looks ready to go party, unlike the rest of us. But that's okay. A quiet Christmas isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what her story might be? My quiet spot is in a chair by a window in our remodeled attic. It's quiet, hidden from the rest of the house and offers a wide view of woods and eastward to the end of our little road. The sunsets are a treat from this vantage point. I like having a place to go when I may need a different view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My yellow armchair! You have seen it on several pictures on my blog. It is where I spend many a lunch break, now that I work exclusively from home, unless my lunch is something other than a sandwich and best eaten sitting at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary - I love your Santos Gaged doll - she looks particularly lovely dressed up for Christmas with her crown, wings and adornments. I would love it if one day you could tell us more about her, and did you acquire her with all of her accessories? I only know that Santos dolls have something to do with the catholic tradition in Spain, but would love to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She came to me with just the beautiful removable wings Rosemary - I've added the other oddments over the years. I'm not Catholic but do enjoy the stories associated with these interesting wooden 'dolls'. I first saw some life sized ones when visiting the Spanish missions near San Antonia, Texas many years ago and thought them so lovely with their faded paint.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mary,
    She is a Beauty! I have noticed her before. All decked out she does make a fine Christmas tableau. She is also very pretty when she quietly stands in the corner waiting for her "close-up"

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beauty! What a queen! I really like her...
    Have a great sunday now and take care!
    Love from a grey, rainy Sweden & Titti

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love seeing your Santo doll all dolled up each year.
    I most often do my reflecting and meditating in the early mornings at the dining table while I sip my tea and the rest of the house sleeps. It is my time of quiet.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.