Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Herbs - Pesto - Growing your Garden.




. . . . . . for late June.


I'm growing all these herbs - and they are doing well.

As it's so unbearably hot in many places across the country here right
now, I'm thinking a really 'green post' will be a little cooling!


First pots of Genovese basil are now being harvested for pesto.


Of course there should be garlic here also!!!!!  Lots of it.
Using walnuts this year - pine nuts are just so expensive.
I add a little lemon juice to keep the bright green color.


Good ingredients, as always, make good, healthy foods.
Extra virgin olive oil, real Parmigiana Reggiano cheese freshly grated, 
fresh nuts of your choice are a must.


These small square Ziploc storage containers are the perfect size for
 pesto - I share a lot and pack the freezer with the rest. 


Big pot of sage, smells so good.


Pots of thyme - regular and lemon.
The long leaves? My amaryllis bulbs over-summering - will repot for 
the house come early winter.


More pots of basil planted later, also more dill. . . . . .. 


. . . . . . because the flowers are tall and pretty. 




The current 'kitchen window' vase is of course filled with basil also!

Are you growing herbs?
Which is your favorite?
Mine has to be basil. . . . . . and hopefully there will soon be
locally grown tomatoes available to make fresh summer dishes.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely refreshing green post Mary - my favourite herb happens to be basil too especially made into lots and lots of pesto. Just the smell of it makes my mouth water. I also use walnuts instead of pine nuts as they are also ridiculously expensive here too and the packets of them are tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my comment went through so I will try again. I am growing basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley and chives on my lanai. Winter is really the growing season here, but I am nursing my herbs along. I buy my pine nuts at Costco in a huge bag. The price is reasonable. I store it in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmh, mouthwatering! We love pesto, and homemade is best! I bet your friends love you even more for sharing it with them.
    I like sage butter on pasta, such as mezzelune or ravioli filled with spinach and ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Mary - they all look so appetising. Parsley has to be my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have got a real forest of Basil, and it looks so healthy. I'm growing 'lettuce basil' this year, not terribly different just with slightly frilly leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Mary,
    WOW, you sure are a master in growing healthy and fresh basil! And other herbs I must admit.
    At Trader Joe's in Atlanta they were offering pots with basil but they should bow their heads in shame... seeing your majestic pot here!
    Do you happen to have some Italian genes?!
    We used to grow all sorts of veggies and herbs but no more.
    I've carried home all sorts of thyme and other herbs from a nursery near Santa Cruz where Campbell used to have a mushroom farm. Even when I went with my Dad, I could not refrain from buying and yep, flying home with it. Dad did not like my splurging on the herbs... Haha but home they came and they got pampered and used.
    Lovely post!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely mix of cooling greens in this post. I grow all of what you grow, other than dill. I plant it every year and it does very little. Perhaps I will purchase a starter plant and see if that works better. This year I have summer savory in a pot, as well. Good in bean soups. I'll dry it for the winter as it won't last. Yummy pesto. I use almonds in place of pine nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Sweet basil is a favorite. I have mixed results growing herbs. Thyme seems to be the easiest for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a delicious green post Mary. Your Basil looks superb - ours has declined due to the Winter but should come back. I grow Parsley, Mint, Basil, Rosemary, and something we call Curry Plant (not its real name). Also Nasturtiums if that counts, and tiny pansies I scatter on cakes and salads. Your Pesto sounds absolutely delicious - wish I could pop over there for a taste :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some reason I can't get the guys in my family to eat pesto. Everytime you post about it I want to make some as it looks so delicious and the color so beautiful. We do have other herbs in the garden: always oregano, then parsley, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, lemon verbena, and occasionally a little basil. There are tomatoes too, which we will have an abundance, as the heat has helped them along. I am sure we will be sharing with neighbors. The plum, apple, and fig tree are also producing though nothing will be ripe for awhile. Happy Fourth of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.