Friday, June 4, 2021

I told you . . . . . . . .


. . . . . more garden stories would be shared soon!


Parsley & Nikko Blue hydrangea

So, this morning after heavy rain yesterday afternoon and through the night
 hours, I woke later than usual as it was dark and dreary outside. I had
 nothing planned which required more than a good mug of fresh coffee, 
waterproof shoes, and my phone. I stepped onto sopping wet grass - 
looking much greener and healthier for hours of rain - and just walked 
around the house snapping away at what I considered pretty and colorful,
 though most plants and shrubs were dripping and bending. . . . .especially
 the heavy mophead blue hydrangeas.




This is my one lace-cap hydrangea, named Twist and Shout
Several years old now, it has pushed through the split rail fence into
 my neighbor's garden - fortunately he doesn't mind!

The big bright green tree centered in the background, is my Celeste fig.
Many of you already know the story of this tree. Planted from a gallon pot 
many years back, and now after several major prunings - including a
 professional one last year when it got totally out of hand - is still huge and 
always the talk of the neighborhood! Looks like plenty of figs now popping
 out for later picking, usually in late July into August.
I so love this beautiful tree. It holds bird feeders, nesting boxes, now and
 then a woven nest is cradled in the branches, lanterns glow in the evening
 hours. It's massive circumference shades a bird bath, azaleas, and a new
 hydrangea will be planted under it soon. . . . . and bluebells and daffodils
have a happy place to thrive in springtime.

Endless Summer hydrangea - huge again despite a good pruning late last winter.

Pots of herbs are coming along well - above the early planting of basil, 
parsley, sage and dill seeds, below the later planted small pots of the
 same seeds alongside an old pot of mint. Pots holding Morning glories
 and Moonflowers already climbing up the fishing line I tied to the
 porch to give them a leg up!




Another Endless Summer - far too big really - but loaded with blooms
 some of which I'll cut and dry later perhaps. The acer is also in need of 
a professional pruning, removing some lower branches to open it up and
 make it look more ornamental  - we've been awaiting our tree guy for
 weeks - so hopefully he'll show up soon.


Have a great weekend everyone.

15 comments:

  1. Mary - those Hydrangeas are such a beautiful blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the blue versions are my favorite - however I planted a pink one in back recently and hoping it will grow into a pretty bush. The new one going under the fig tree is a deep burgundy shade which seems to turn to green - very unusual and will be eye catching when large I think!

      Delete
  2. Nature so loves and needs a good soak! You did well to get out in the freshly washed garden and take those beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing them with us. You too have a good weekend, dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike - nice weather today and we will work outside, then a lot more rain coming our way! Have a fun weekend.

      Delete
  3. What an enjoyable wander round your lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could wander together Barbara. . . . . here or in Cornwall!
      Hugs - Mary x

      Delete
  4. Oh my, a treat for the soul. My eyes lap up all this beauty you share from your garden. I just had to see at your pot of heliotrope and I could 'smell' its heady fragrance. They are always a favourite addition to my garden. Thanks so much a lovely start to my Saturday. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda - I wish you too could take a wander with me as you really seem to enjoy the garden. Even one of our chipmunks liked the heliotrope - I actually found him rolling around in the pot and had to take the plant out and set it deeper!
      Have a great weekend.
      Mary -

      Delete
  5. Dearest Mary,
    Guess early June is the very best of summer and especially after such a 'heavenly' rain for all the shrubs, plants and trees! You sure got some hydrangea color right at your front porch; as a welcome!
    Just noticed that we have a lot in common, the color of our home and the gingerbread and such (ours is from Vintage Woodworks in TX): https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2013/08/our-home-with-aluminum-interlock.html
    Enjoy this time of the year!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hydrangeas! And, that dark blue! Oh my. Lace-cap ones have always fascinated me. You have such a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary your flowers and gardens are gorgeous. So glad you shared them. Take care and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if my comment went through - I got an error message. So I'm trying again. If this is a duplicate, just delete.

    I always admire how huge and lush your hydrangeas are. It's amazing to me how big they get in the south! My hydrangeas aren't even a quarter of that size, but they don't get enough sun either. I bet your area is super humid now with all that rain. We've been unusually dry here in northeast IL. In fact, we're in drought conditions. Change of rain Mon - Wed, so I hope indeed we do get some rain.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hydrangeas are gorgeous. What a beautiful garden.
    Our hydrangeas haven't started blooming yet, but it will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hydrangeas are just beautiful! I planted a purple one this year out front. I also brought my blue hydrangea when I moved here in April. I can't wait until my purple one is as big as yours!!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.