Thursday, June 3, 2021

Staying busy as days fly by!




This has been another extremely busy - in a good way - week, and it is
 flying by quickly.
We are still gardening - and of course always will be as long as we're able.
We also shopped quite a lot for garden supplies such as mulch, an edger, 
new bird feeder...........and of course plants!  



We're having some rain at last and things will be growing by leaps and bounds.
All looks fresh this morning. Rain will start up again around noon and continue 
through tomorrow. A thunderstorm in the night actually woke me but I managed to 
roll over and sleep a bit longer.


We've had several visitors this week also - vaccinations have changed
 life quite a lot and we feel safe meeting up with friends outdoors. 
We've used the front porch and the gazebo for tea, coffee, and grilling
 out, just about every day.

Can you believe these amazing freshly harvested veggies. They have been
 arriving in my kitchen recently. My neighbor volunteers at the NC Food Bank
 and a woman grows a garden there. At day's end any remaining vegetables
 she shares with the workers and my neighbor then shares with me.

These rather ugly little carrots are especially tasty and came with 
huge attached tops which I've also been adding to salads and soups.
As for the rainbow chard.........it is fabulous, we've eaten it steamed, and
even the stalks are tender and tasty when this fresh!
 



Our new garden visitors are funny - and seem harmless.  At least they aren't 
digging up or munching on my plants. Apparently this pair of frogs are
 enjoying their drainage pipe 'condo' which comes complete with indoor
 swimming pool. They spend a lot of the day just looking out and then
 quickly hopping back inside when I walk nearby. 

I'm just hoping they will eat all the mosquitoes in the garden!


I'll be back soon with more garden and shopping stories, meanwhile today
I'm making soup, popping over to visit a friend for a cuppa, and running to
 the grocery later.


14 comments:

  1. Glad you are able to be with friends again! The veggies look so good. I spy a mosaic tray :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .......I miss YOU Penny, the wonderful mosaic artist who made that tray, also the lazy Susan it's sitting on!

      Delete
  2. Veggies look good and I love your froggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the cutest froggies - but so shy and quick to hop into the pipe!

      Delete
  3. Dearest Mary,
    You are sounding as bubbly as you can get; glad you're feeling well!
    You had me laugh about your frog garden residents in the drainage pipe 'condo' which comes complete with indoor swimming pool.
    The rainbow chards look really fresh and no doubt were good.
    Being the daughter of a Market Gardener (greenhouses and outdoors) in my opinion those carrots look rather old with their black tops; such product we would never have sent to the auction...
    Enjoy the coming of summer. We both are feeding the deer in our yard, putting corn out. We were in East Tennessee in a cabin for 7 nights and of course no one was feeding them. Only our cat sitter came to feed the kitties.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....they were actually just harvested that day Mariette, had fresh green tops but just those little nobs of black when I cut them off the stalks - see the photo before where they are still attached! They tasted good!
      Hope your trip to TN was fun.

      Delete
  4. Life is returning to normal and that's such a welcome event! Love hearing about your outings and visits. Fresh garden vegetables are wonderful. What else do you do with the rainbow chard besides steaming it? I planted some and have been using the thinnings for sauteeing, but I'd love some more ideas.
    Your froggy gardeners look like they are making themselves at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying different recipes with the chard. Last night a frittata with potatoes, fresh herbs and crumbled goat cheese - very good. I think any recipe using spinach could work with chard - next I may do a quiche! Secret is the chard needs to be young and fresh, especially if you use the stems (I chop them small and they are great - sauteed them along with the chopped leaves and potatoes for a few mins. before adding the eggs.
      Mary x

      Delete
  5. So lovely to meet friends again without fear! I don‘t know when we will reach that point, but I hope we will at some stage.
    Those veggies look great, and isn‘t if funny how so often the seemingly uglier, smaller fruits and vegetables are much tastier than the beautiful ones.
    The frogs have found a perfect home, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hydrangeas in the urn look gorgeous!

    We call chard, Silverbeet, here....love it! I often pop it into the Thai curries I make...so yummy! Awesome that you are growing you own produce. I'll bet it's all more flavoursome than shop-bought.

    Cool that you have some frog residents. I was so happy to see a couple of large green frogs hanging around our backyard garden in the warmer months.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    Hugs,
    Serena xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those veg look fantastic to me. And as for your visitors - we have toads in our garden most years - I rather like them, croaking in the evening. they are harmless enough though they freak Jane out a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How large are the toads? Not huge I hope - I'd be in agreement with Jane if they are!

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.