Monday, April 5, 2010

Road trip.........The Depot at Gibson Mill

On Saturday I pursuaded DH to take a road trip.  We invited good friend Vanessa of Vanilla Lavender along knowing she would love where we were going! We took the back roads avoiding the busy highway.
The Spring weather was perfect. Trees were leafing out in that gentle, almost lime green, interspersed with redbuds in full blossom. White and pink dogwoods were just opening their delicate blooms.  Along the country roads, we admired old wood-framed farmhouses and small red brick ranch style homes with gardens of overgrown azaleas, gnarled trees with ivy clambering upward, beds of tulips and creeping perwinkle......lovely overgrown 'secret gardens'. They beckoned to us beyond rustic hand built fences covered with twining Carolina Jessamine (a native Jasmine)......just beginning to show their bright yellow flowers.


Our destination was just a couple of hours away in Concord, North Carolina.  This is the Gibson Mill - once Cannon Mill No.6 where they manufactured gingham fabric.  Recently refurbished into offices, events space..........and the amazing 88,000 square foot Depot at Gibson Mill Antiques Mall.

An Oliver brand typewriter, probably the oldest one I've ever seen!

So here I am, typing writing a little about this gigantic emporium of booths holding everything from rusty horseshoes (yes, I had to have one!), to exquisite and very expensive French antiques, and everything collectible in between. 

Enjoy the photos, and if you live in, or are ever near Charlotte, NC, you will be very close to this treasure hunting paradise so be sure to visit.


Blog friend Janna of Artsy Fartsy Junk Finds is now working full time at the Depot, as well as having two booths of her unmistakeable neutral color farm finds..........it was so nice to meet and be welcomed so warmly by her. Janna made my neat Junk Gypsy  necklace after I discovered her blog and visited her booth at the Sleepy Poet Antique Mall in Charlotte last Fall - another fabulous place.

Flour sifter

Janna's artsy junk treasures!

*****

Below, other treasures scattered over 88,000 sq.ft. Do you know how huge that is?

Painted French bed.

Beautiful lamp base.

Antique canvas spats.

Just one of many, many pieces of nicely faux finished furniture.

Pie safes, cupboards, tables and chairs.

Vintage mirrors.

Next time I'll show you what I brought home!

20 comments:

  1. Hi dear! What a wonderful day we had! I could stop but tell Ryan about all the lovely things we saw and all the lovely things I wish I had bought... I'm so glad I was able to join you and Bob on this 'road trip'. I can't wait until my mom gets here we I can have my two favorite ladies treasure hunting with me. Thank you!! Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place to visit. I have three of those vintage mirrors with the barbola decorations, they belonged to my mother.

    I tried to send you an email to thank you for the lovely card, but it got sent back to me, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness my mother had a mirror like that in her drssing table as long as I can rememmber, I wonder what happened to it, guess it might have gone out in the junk that my uncle shifted from the house when mother had to go into a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, how sad you don't still have the mirror - they are worth something (these were around $85 each) but most of all for the memories of your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    I am so jealous you went there without me! I plan on going sometime this summer. Will let you and Bob now when I do. It looks like a wonderful place...
    xoxo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous place - I was in Charlotte this past year on a coaching job. Unfortunately, I didn't have a car! Oh, I would have loved this place.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping in a comment to let you know that I like your new look.
    Wouldn't I love to have a place to visit like that old mill?! It looks like you had a grand day and I look forward to seeing photos of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Mary, that looks like a fun antiques excursion.

    Saw that you had to move to a new blog, that really stinks about the Picasa storage thing. I'm glad I'm off of Blogger now. The new blog looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. waaaaaa! I wish I had been able to go with you!!! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I am so glad you we able to visit. Sorry we were so swamped and I did not get to spend alot of time with you and Vanessa. I was so glad to finally meet you both. I look forward to your next visit, hopefully I can visit with you more on that trip! The pics you took look wonderful! I am adding your new blog to my sidebar of favorites. Me and Hubby had a roadtrip today to a Antique few spots, Have a great week, Hugs, Janna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this does look like a place for you. I would love visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mirrors are so pretty. Sounds like ya'll had a good time!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great post on us! Bring a bus load on down and see us again! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
    Blessings!
    Rachel, The Depot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Mary!
    I am Beth Swanson from Olde Tyme Marketplace. I wanted to thank you for the post you did on THE DEPOT and also for including a couple pictures of my booth as well. I had the spats and the all the chippy white things. The pictures were wonderful! I wish I had been there to be able to meet you. I do hope you come again and I get that chance.
    Your blog is so pretty and I will be adding it to my sidebar and favs.
    Thanks again for all the kind words!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe you found yet another place to find antiques. I almost never think to look in them and we do have a few. Actually, I have NO place to put anything, good reason to stay away. LOL.
    Nice you met even more bloggers.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a junkers heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gasp - look at that Antiques Depot!
    Gasp - love the new look blog!
    Gasp - that header is to die for!
    Hi Mary, thank you for your very generous comments left on my blog. How exciting that you have an Africa trip planned
    Looking forward to seeing what you brought home form the depot!
    Bye for now, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like so much fun. I would want everything in there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely my kind of day! We love traveling back roads. How wonderful this building was repurposed rather than demolished! Love it!

    J's Aunt Ruth has a painted bed similar to the green one. In fact I believe it may be a set. Next time we're down that way, I'll wander upstairs and take a picture. She wants my green comforter and shams to use on that bed. Since Miss Gabi is taking our small iron bed, I'll take the comforter to Aunt Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. John and I went to The Depot about a month ago. I forgot to take my camera and I was overwhelmed with how big it was and they were just getting ready to open another section of it. We'd never been to Concord before. I loved the beautiful big homes onthe main strret. There was a blue one for sale...in my dreams. It would be fun to do meet there with some other bloggers. Count me in if you decide to do it.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.