Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I love right now.........

................these finds at the Gibson Mill Depot in the lovely town of Concord, NC.  Strolling main street we found the lunchtime sandwiches at Ellie's Cafe delicious, and the historic Victorian style homes beautiful.


I wasn't kidding when I mentioned bringing home a rusty old horseshoe.  I thought I could use it in the gazebo.  When sitting there with a stack of favorite magazines I sometimes need a paper weight when breezes blow through... this will do the job well!  Right now the gazebo, like the entire area, is smothered in pollen, blowing about in choking clouds.  Unable to sit out there, I pray for some rain to settle the dust so I can enjoy my little spot of garden heaven.


French blue or gray............you know I can't resist when I find something already painted these simple French country colors. They're a pair and I've split them up, this one in the corner of the dining room, the other in the bedroom. Pretty, tall iron tables, I really love their beautiful finish.



Vanessa, with her young and creative eye, always spies things I love............she knew I was looking for more linen feedsacks and found two with pale blue stripes for me.  These are domestic, not as rustic and textured as old European ones, they will however be fine for pillow covers, perhaps for the gazebo chairs....and were a good price.


Last but not least, the addiction to china never subsides so had to have this very pretty plate to use for serving cake perhaps. There were actually three and I'm kicking myself for not buying them all! Already delicately crazed, I really love the deep scalloped edge and the wildflowers remind me of an English country meadow. The pattern is however named "Washington", made by Booths, a very old British pottery.  


I'll be sharing more from the Gibson Mill Depot.  I loved hearing from the vendors who left comments on my previous post.  Hope to get back down there with a bus load of treasure hunting 'junk gypsies' when I get back from Africa ~ and perhaps meet up with the Charlotte area bloggers, now that would be fun.



10 comments:

  1. Hello dear! The table looks fabulous on the dining room corner. Love the flower arrangement too. I was so happy I was able to go on that trip with you. I'm planning a little trip to Suzanna's tomorrow, but I'm not so sure yet. I'll email you later! Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plate is so pretty! I have to tell you how in love I am with your gazebo. I've always wanted one - I love the idea of sitting in there, feeling the breeze, reading....

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your rusty horseshoe! It will make the perfect paper weight!

    Those tables are wonderful too...make sure you let me know when you try to do the group blogger trip to Gibson Mill...I will try to make it.

    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me as one on the "bus"! Sounds like a great idea. I love that french blue/grey too, so soothing. hugs and love, Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty things! I'm sitting here foot propped and trying to be good. So sad our meeting did not take place today:(
    I want to be on that bus when you go junking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the things you bought! I would have picked up the plate too!! If you make the trip to Charlotte let me know as I'll meet all of you there! I'm trying to send some rain your way, but we are not getting very much right now. So much for 90%!!! Love to have some as like you the pollen has just coated everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool!! I love your goodies! I really Love the British Country Living! Thanks to B&N I get one each month!!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mary, the pollen is a terrible problem but with a ton of rain today the air is...a breath of fresh air. so is your new blog. I love your new purchases and the Gibson Mill Depot sounds like a great place to shop. Love your lucky paper weight. and the new pillow ideas. Tou do have the perfect eye for what looks great. the plate is lovely.

    Mary, when do you go to Africa? I know you must be so excited about going there. My aunt and uncle LOVED Africa when they visited that country a few years ago. Lucky you!!!
    Enjoy some rain I hope. It surly must be heading your way.

    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful finds! The horseshoe, what a great idea. Love the pattern on the plate and can understand wishing you bought all three. I have one white stoneware plate that I wish I had gotten all three too. I keep looking. Isn't the looking and finding the fun part of it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the treasures you found. What a fun idea for the horseshoe. The plate pattern is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.