..............in your old kit-bag and smile, smile, smile"
Old British World War I marching song that became a big music hall hit - published in London in 1915.
My version of a kit-bag is my neat canvas one displaying English gals participating in a tug o' war on some British beach - perhaps in the late forties from the style of the clothes. Sure looks like they're having fun though.
I packed up my bag and headed to Durham, NC last week to visit with my friend Vanessa for coffee, then a little retail therapy at an upscale mall near her home. I really wanted to check out the new free standing Crate & Barrel shop, it carries a full line of furniture as well as all the usual merchandise. The small C&B here in town closed when this larger store opened, it's about a twenty minute drive from Raleigh.
I was impressed.................but of course didn't order any beautiful, rather expensive furniture. I did buy these little gems though ready for Summer cool treats..........the bright white china berry strainer, small version latte/fruit bowls, and the adorable sorbet cups complete with spoons.......perfect size for a hot afternoon treat or after dinner dessert. I picked the turquoise, they also come in yellow, pink, green, all very pretty and inexpensive.
Next door is trendy Urban Outfitters.............this is part of the Anthropologie group and has been somewhat controversial over the years. It caters to 18-30 year olds - affordable/adorable clothing, some home items.............and I love looking around to see what's 'in' and being worn to places my age group doesn't get to hang out in any longer!
While on the subject of furnishing rooms...........Vanessa's lovely cool living room, below, wow! She has returned to her love of white and 'shabby chic' and it definitely felt perfect on another steaming hot day here in the south. I could have just lolled about on her comfy couch the entire day!
Below, a corner of my own living room. Loving a similar feel of coolness here especially on these close to 100 degree days. Vanessa and I love the same things, no wonder we have so much fun shopping together.
Summer in the south...............
- White cotton twill custom made slip covers by my sweet Italian seamstress
- French grain sack cushions purchased from gorgeous La Madone in Apt, Provence when visiting a few years ago - we stayed in Appartement Chanvre
- Linen 'Royal Regatta' cushion from fun and talented Joy at SavvyCityFarmer
- Sea grass woven balls, found somewhere, long ago
- Cool mirrored table from Elegant Relic, Mebane, NC
- On table, Australian stylist Sibella Court's amazing book ETCETERA etc. 'Creating beautiful interiors with the things you love'. Gorgeous book design and photography. Available at Anthropologie, and elsewhere I'm sure.
- Galvanized vintage gym baskets from ScreenDoor, Asheville, NC, for storing all those decorating magazines I can't part with - and WILL flip the pages and read again on the porch, in the shade, with a cool raspberry lemonade. Perhaps later today when it's too hot to even think of doing much of anything!
Hope you are enjoying a perfect Summer weekend. How about sharing what you are doing to stay cool!