Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Folding books...................


FOLD ~ A line or crease produced in paper or cloth as the result of folding it.


I already had a few folded books which I've enjoyed looking at around the house for a while. Recently, when out treasure hunting with friend Vanessa in and around her new location, I found a booth at an antiques mall which had books with lots of different intricate folds. I didn't buy any, they were a bit pricey, but did make a note of this particular one........................and came home to craft my own version.

If, like me, you have a stack of old hardcover books laying about (I pick them up for a couple of dollars at the used book shop) this is a really easy project if you want to keep your hands busy - a change from knitting scarves for me! I know I'll make more on Winter evenings by the fire. Here I'm using a French novel which has a lovely cover and some pen and ink illustrations as well as the words - and I love anything showcasing 'the written word'.


There are just two folds required to make this easy design, they are done on alternate pages. It's great fun to see the quick magical change in the book's appearance.
  • First page just fold in half so the outside edge meets the gutter.
  • Second page, two triangular folds - I do the top one first then bottom over.

Just keep going until enough have stacked up to give a pleasing 'sculpture', or continue to the end of the book. I guess depending on the thickness of the book will determine how much folding you want to complete.

Have fun with this ~ they do say 'books make a room' and this is another inexpensive way of changing your decor.


17 comments:

  1. How interesting...have never seen anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see myself this winter, with little to do and nowhere to go , sitting and folding all of our books lol ... this is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so pretty! I am thinking this would be lovely to do with miniature books and hang them from a Christmas tree. Perfect for a book lover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books as art, this is fascinating. I couldn't help noticing the intriguing title of the book! If I had more room for letting interesting objects lie around artfully here, I might give this a try.

    On another topic, sounds like you are enjoying your fig trees. Our figs are long gone now; just a memory. I never did get around to making jam this year either. Mostly we just fed the local wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really attractive, it's a new concept for me. If I come across an old, pretty but boring book I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting. Never saw that before but I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting. I love the old book and how the different folds make a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty. I can see myself doing this for my autumn makeover around the house. Thank you for the tutorial. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so complicated when finished, and yet so simple to achieve. I am sure you found it very satisfying, I must give it a try, and show my grandson who loves doing origami. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen books folded into christmas trees and santas (and then spray painted), but none like this. Of course that was back in the 70s - I think it was Readers' Digest that they folded - I've seen them in the store lately - you couldn't make anything out of how skinny the digest has become. Yours are much more artistic - might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen anything like this before Mary. Very interesting and very decorative.
    Di
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing ... have had a nice evening just sitting and folding :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, this is a clever idea. I've seen folded books, but have never created one myself. Will have to pick up some old books and give this a try. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the folded books, but Jim would kill me (just joking) if I started folding his precious books. I will have to find some of my own. I recently saw some books cut into pumpkin shapes and a stem added on top. That intrigued me too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear! It turn out great! Miss you tons! I'm planning a visit to the Depot, but it won't as much fun since you won't be there to treasure hunt with me thou... Have a wonderful day! Vanessa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, this is a great idea. I love old books and this technique adds a sculptural quality.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.