Saturday, July 14, 2012

Zimbabwe - Land and Skyscapes................


Today, just sharing some images of amazing landscapes and birds seen in Zimbabwe. Our safari camp named Ruckomechi, on the banks of the Zambezi River, was in a beautiful area teeming with wildlife and birds, and the scenery, with the backdrop of the Great Rift Valley escarpment on the Zambian side, was breathtaking.

Huge flocks of Quelea cross grassy country and waters of the mighty Zambezi River......... 

..........breeding in colonies in thorny trees.


 These seemingly calm waters are full of huge crocodiles and hippos.


 Bob's awesome image of the African Fish-Eagle. He usually sticks with binoculars and leaves the photos to me. Have to admit he got a great shot of this well-known raptor who, with a mate, builds a large nest in a treetop above the water, often swooping down to grab fish in its talons.


A colorful lone Little Bee-eater rests on a thorny shrub - always prevalent near rivers and open bushveld, they nest in the river's earth banks.


Just visible, baboon, impala, zebra, hippo, sharing the watery meadows of the river.


Dusk arrives quickly, temperatures cool rapidly. The elephants take a dust bath accompanied by a flock of Cattle Egrets who forage alongside herbivores to catch insects.

Sunset on the Zambezi - a time of wonder.
This IS Africa! 

13 comments:

  1. All your photos are so artistic...a joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous "time of wonder". How amazing to see this collection of birds and animals all together, peacefully grazing. I love photos like that one. Bob's photo of the raptor is wonderful too. Your time in Africa was truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fabulous views - the elephants, the birds - thanks for another little glimpse of your wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Mary, everything looks so tranquil and peaceful. I am thouroughly enjoying your travelogue! To think those calm waters hide thousands of big shiny sharp teeth waiting to gobble you up!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day I am so excited I found your blog page, I really
    found you by error, while I was looking on Askjeeve
    for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to
    say thanks a lot for a marvelous post and a all round interesting blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to read through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it
    and also included your RSS feeds, so when I
    have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the
    fantastic work.
    Review my weblog : source

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful landscape. Wonderful images. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaaaahhhhhh i have to go back - SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I love my visits here! Not only do you share all these amazing images of real life experiences, but you give us excellent information about these places and animals. I've learned so much from you. ~ Sarah
    PS
    Tell Bob the eagle shot is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary,

    Your photographs are stunning - breath taking - what a beautiful place to visit. I always enjoy going along with you on your safaris - your fabulous photos are the next best thing to being in Africa. Bob's shot of the eagle is outstanding.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree, that Fish Eagle looks beautiful, and that is an unusual view of the bird, that I have not seen before.

    Your landscapes are wonderful viewing and each tells a story.

    I too like the photo of the animals alongside one another.

    I think the bee-eater is a White-Fronted Bee-Eater. Such a beautiful bird. I'm a bid 'crazy' for bee-eaters.

    In a recent post, you showed a feather. That is from a helmeted or crested guinea fowl. Not sure which.

    I like these birds and have 3 little models in my kitchen, one to represent myself, another my nephew Chris and the last Mr Sft.

    I am loving the photos.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am continuing to enjoy all of your safari photos - wonderful! I esp like the hippo and the elephants : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of it looks so beautiful, and nice weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Admiring the deԁіcatіon you рut into your
    blog and detaileԁ informаtion you prоvide.
    It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdateԁ rehasheԁ material.
    Great read! ӏ've saved your site and I'm inсluding your RSS feedѕ to my Google aсcount.
    my site :: bd web searh

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.