Thursday, June 20, 2019

From crystal to pure silver. . . . . . . .


Whilst spending several days in Dublin, we decided to be 'day trippers' on two of them,
taking train rides, one to Kilkenny and the other to Waterford, to view the countryside
and have a few hours to explore those towns. BTW, train travel in Ireland is really good
making it easy to get about in reasonably priced comfort.

Knowing that the majority of famous Waterford crystal is no longer manufactured in its
 original Irish home - but in Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Germany - and with
time limitations, we decided to skip the 'factory/gift shop' tour and spend our time just
viewing the town. On a quick stop into the tourist office for a walking map, we were also
 given a heads up about the local design studio where several of the makers were
former Waterford Crystal employees. Being Sunday, although open, there was only
one artist working . . . . . . . a former designer at Waterford who has moved on from 
glass to silver. I was hooked before even arriving at the attractive creative space.


KITE DESIGN STUDIOS, Waterford on another showery day, but by then we were 
used to walking in the "soft Irish rain" as they call it!


Gene O'Shea makes beautiful pure silver jewelry in patterns I love. 
No longer buying useless souvenirs from places I visit, I do have a penchant
 for locally made jewelry, knowing I will enjoy wearing it, recalling the place
 where it came from, and often will have met the artist who created it making
it even more special.

Gene was delightful to chat with. He polished the silver ring I was wearing (made
 for me years ago by a friend) which was so kind, and then gave me time to look
 at his display case full of beautiful pendants and earrings. It didn't take me long to
 choose a favorite from his Heritage Collection, this lovely necklace full of texture
 and with a story of Celtic origins.




I'm always enthralled by the work spaces of creative people, jewelers being my favorite
 as over the years I've had several friends who have done similar work.


I'm going to really enjoy my pendant to which Gene added a 20" chain.

This photo above is of Gene - for the interesting story of his creative journey
 from crystal to silver, go here to GENE O'SHEA Irish Silver Design


So, a visit to Waterford didn't see me really looking at crystal - though we did stop at a huge 
gift shop in town where there was enough extremely high-priced glass to amaze one, and
thoughts of dropping a piece with those price tags was scary!


................heading back on the train to Dublin after a lovely day exploring another interesting Irish town and finding a local treasure to bring home.


11 comments:

  1. A very lovely souvenir, and all the more special having met the designer/maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . and he was really charming and kind Irishman, and so talented with his amazing design background.

      Delete
  2. Ireland does indeed seem to be the place to be these past few years. Several in my circle of friends and acquaintances have been, some of them for the umpteenth time, and keep going on about what a fabulous time they've had and how great it is. Well, O.K. and I still have not made up our minds about what to do for our holiday in September...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you and O.K. would enjoy it there a lot!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful photo you took of the scenery from the train! That jewelry is gorgeous! I love the photo of you and your hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Rain that's Gene the jewelery designer/maker, not my hubby Bob! Same haircut but Bob has never had a beard!
      Mary -

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Although gold is popular on this side of the world, I much prefer silver or white gold. Looks like a pendant I would have picked out. I recently purchased a silver ring from a Beirut jewelry designer here that looks like folded fabric. Really love unique pieces like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy I have a few gold pieces but silver is my favorite - and thankfully is less costly! I would love to see your ring.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hope to show it to you next time we can meet up Penny.
      Happy summer - anything exciting going on?

      Delete
  6. Love, love the pendant! It is definitely you!
    How special to meet the artist. Like you, I no longer bring things home unless I will use them.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.