Saturday, June 15, 2019

Ready to fly?


I took a few more photos of the wrens yesterday afternoon, actually sitting out
 on the porch just a few feet from them. The parents were coming and going and
 didn't seem to mind me there as long as I didn't move.........or breathe!  
My arms were aching holding the camera at the ready and I was stifling my
 cough, so I didn't stay long.  I really think they will be fledging any day now
 as they seem anxious to come way out of the entry hole when the parents arrive
with a tasty morsels.



House wrens love insects and rarely eat seeds at the feeders - these babies
 are scoffing down grasshoppers, spiders, moths in wild abandon. . . . . . 


. . . . . . . and, although I'd only seen two the past day, I did catch three in 
the photo below. There could be even more as the first brood in May had
 five - I was able to count them as they flew out of the nest box.


I'll be watching today as it's very warm, dry and sunny, perfect conditions
 for a first flight. 
Those poor parents must be exhausted by now and need a vacation trip after
 raising so many babies!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Mary, how cute are those little baby birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago we watched our two baby bluebirds fledge the nest. We have more bluebirds looking at the house now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did well to capture them so beautifully! Glad that you are feeling a bit better. Maybe the warmth of home will cure you. Sounded pretty cool and damp in Ireland.

    Thank you, Mary, for your kind words on my blog. I had no idea! But I was deeply touched and moved by yours and Bob’s story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly Mary, you need to send these to a nature magazine. They are amazing.
    I sure hope I get to see my little wrens leave their bird house. And my tree swallows, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.