Friday, September 27, 2019

Everything but the kitchen sink!

Last of the summer blooms at the kitchen sink.

Always so much to do before leaving on a big trip. 

What constitutes a 'big trip' anyway?

For me it's all about the number of countries on the itinerary - usually
 more than two.
The transportation to get to the first one and then the journey 
onward whether on planes, ships, trains or automobiles.
The weather in each place can be so different making choosing
what to take and wear often time consuming - for me anyway!

For the upcoming trip we will have possible cool days in
Europe - and of course something for rain always needs to be packed.
As it won't be cold my nylon packable jacket bought in England in 
May will be perfect - it's longer, roomy, and has a hood. . . . . . . and
it folds into a very small 6x8 inch pouch which came with it. I love it.

We board the ship in Lisbon and, following one port stop in Spain
where layers may be required if temps are cool early morning and 
warmer later, we'll then be heading to Morocco with perhaps much
 warmer weather. Picking clothes for Casablanca and other Moroccan 
ports requires comfy sightseeing outfits, but with more coverage such
as loose tunics with sleeves, over long pants - no plunging necklines
 or shorts, which I wouldn't consider anyway!

Once in Western Sahara it will most likely be even hotter and drier.
Again, local custom requires modesty and coverage - perhaps the caftan
or tunic length tops worn with lightweight long pants will work there.
As for the port stops on three Cape Verde Islands, who knows. It's 
going to be tropical and again hot, so will wait and see. By the time we
 arrive there it's likely I'll just be tossing on something comfortable. . . . . 
 in linen and very wrinkled no doubt!


One large bag for checking awaiting.
A big pile of clothing being edited to fit in said bag!
Plus one small roll-aboard to carry on. 
If only I could travel without so much. 
I will leave the kitchen sink behind though!!!!!

Busy weekend ahead and still so hot and dry here.
Hope you have fun things planned.
ENJOY!

P.S. Coming next - the travel clothing rack is collapsing under the weight!


9 comments:

  1. Oh, me too Mary!
    We go off tomorrow and I'm wrestling with suitcases!
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That itinerary would make packing challenging. It is a unique one that itinerary of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting trip ahead, and I love it that you'll do much of it by ship. Yes, different climate zones can present a real challenge for packing. For me, a "Big Trip" means both a long time (two weeks at least) and a long way away from home. I've not done any Big Trips in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your extensive travels amaze me! Wishing you safe and healthy travels and of course, I can't wait to see photos and hear about the places you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy travels Mary and Bob - I always tend to take more clothing than I need and regularly return with stuff that has remained unworn. A Big Trip for me can mean just one country, it all depends on how far away it is and much of that particular country we intend to see and travel through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need a lot of variety for that itinerary. It sounds so exciting! Happy travels to you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to have a wonderful trip! Layers are always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It indeed can be a challenge when traveling to several climates, but it sounds like you have it under control. Each time I take a big trip I tell myself I should have packed lighter. Always a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if anyone knows how to pack so such variables, it would surely have to be you. Working my way back to here, it looks like you had an incredible time.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.